Chapter Five~ I Have Things to Worry About Other Than Getting Dressed

It was near impossible to peel my eyes open the next morning. Sun streamed through the curtains, burning my retinas.

I had slept terribly.

No surprise there.

The last nights I just layed there yawning, for hours. Until about three A.M when my mind finally shut down and i drifted into an uneasy sleep.
The last few days had past in a blur, the only part slightly memorable was the time Abby and I spent in the Library and Media Center, scouring the tablets for anything that could be of use, but we found nothing we didn't already know.

We had struck out almost completely, only learning that the Add-ps is only considered faulty if one outlives their deadline.  Things like illness and murder are not registered.

We didn't see how this could be useful.

Despite this Abigail, never seemed to lose hope, constantly declaring that we'd "Find something tomorrow!"

I, on the other hand, felt utterly defeated.
We had wasted five days and my birthday was on Sunday.

Today was Sunday.

I wished to burrow deep under the blanket and never move, entering some sort of stasis; awake, but not really aware.

Strangely this surrender seemed so appealing.
Why struggle with  a Clock when i could so easily give up, and be warm and comfortable for the rest of my short life?

It was Sunday Morning. The non-life determining clock next to me read 8:03 A.M.

I could easily catch a few more hours of sleep, but try as I might I couldn't manage more than a fretful doze.

I never could sleep unless it was fully dark. waking up early had always been my demise. once I saw that sunlight i was doomed not to fall back asleep.

Dragging myself out of my soft, warm haven I grabbed my Cell watch.

When my parents were kids Cwatches had just been introduced, and most people prefered their old Smartphones, now Cwatches were more common as they had ever been, and Smartphones considered antique.

"Cwatch," I commanded, activating the voice recognition sensor, "Message Abigail: Come over whenever you want. We have lots of work to do."

"Of course, Jamie," spoke my Watch's robotic voice.

Mere seconds after my message sent the light on my Watch's tiny screen flared. "Abigail has seen your message, Jamie."

I figured I had a few hours to get in some research before Abby got here so, still rubbing sleep out of my eyes, I stood, stretched, and fished a pair of jeans from one of the many piles on the floor.

Putting on jeans while half asleep proved easier said than done.

The doorbell rang and I fought with the denim as i headed downstairs, which only resulted in me landing on my butt.

Finally, I managed to get the jeans over my boxers and yanked open the door, for whoever had the audacity to show up at 8:15 on a Sunday morning.

Surprise, surprise. It was Abigail, bright eyed, wide awake, and not at all looking distressed.
She would have had to have been walking for a half an hour to get here from her house.

"How did you..." I started.

As usual Abby cut me off, "I was already half way here when you messaged me. Did you know your jeans aren't zipped?"

My ears turned crimson.

Just as always, Abigail trotted into my house as if she owned the place. "So, I've done some more research and I think I found something! I learned that most clocks are kept in a vault in the hospital at which a baby was born. I told you'd we'd find something!  But you never believe me. But am I ever wrong? Nope! Do you know what hospital you were born at? You don't do you?"

"No. I do," I muttered hesitantly.

"Then what's the problem? We'll just go over there and get it."

"We can't," I admitted.

"And why not?" Abby asked incredulously.

"Because it was torn down three years ago."