Chapter 13

The haunted house was successful. With the help of Charlotte, their station caused many people to say that they felt that she was really a witch doing black magic. Evelyn would never admit it, but she was glad to have done it with Charlotte. Although she was a bit strange, she knew how to do some fun things. They were currently at the Halloween party, and Evelyn was truly enjoying herself. Although, she wouldn't admit it out loud.

"Did you try the cookies? I made them," Charlotte stated as she handed Evelyn one. Evelyn looked at it and saw that there was a witch design on it.

Charlotte stared at Evelyn with wide eyes. Evelyn glanced at her with an eyebrow raised.

"What?" she asked after she bit the witch's head. Pretty good.

"You're- you actually-," Charlotte tried to speak.

"What?"

"You smiled. You actually smiled. Not a smirk, but a pure smile," Charlotte stated with a smile of her own. "So, you can make that kind of expression also."

Evelyn stared at her, shocked by the revelation. To be honest, Evelyn didn't even know that she had made that expression. Maybe she was touched that Charlotte made a witch cookie and gave it to her, or maybe she was happy that Charlotte helped make their station successful. Or, maybe you're glad that you've finally made a friend.

Friends? In all of Evelyn's fifteen years, she never had a friend. To be honest, the word didn't fit in her vocabulary, and it seemed to be so foreign. Is this what happens when you hang around someone for a period of time? Does this progress into friendship?

"Hey, kid. How do you define friendship?"

Charlotte pursed her lips as she thought of what Evelyn asked her. "Hmmm, I don't think that there is a true definition; but I think that if there is a connection of the hearts, friendship can occur. Mmm, these cookies are good. Here, try this one," Charlotte handed a pumpkin one to Evelyn.

"Do you think that we have a connection of hearts?" Evelyn mumbled quietly.

"What did you say?"

"N-nothing."

Charlotte smiled softly. "If you're wondering if we're friends or not; we became friends as soon as we made our 'partnership.' How do I know? I had a feeling that I was going to rub off on you after a while. I'm pretty contagious," Charlotte chuckled. "But seriously, you're not the same person you were a couple of weeks ago. It's not going to happen instantaneously, but you're a lot nicer than what you used to be."

Evelyn grimaced, and Charlotte chuckled. "I'm sure that it's shocking to hear, but I feel that you and I are friends. You've changed, and I've changed also, all because of you."

A person came up to them and told Charlotte that they needed her for something. "I'll be back."

Evelyn thought back to her conversation with Charlotte, and she didn't know what to think. The information was too much for her to absorb. The fact that Charlotte felt that Evelyn was her friend made her feel a certain way. Seeing the sincerity in her eyes allowed Evelyn to know that what she was stating was completely true. But, could Evelyn truly accept that she had a friend that accepted her as she was? Evelyn didn't know the answer, but she did know that she wanted to try.