Chapter 11

As Evelyn headed home, her mind went back to the peaceful feeling that she had when she was washing the cars. The feeling was still there, but it wasn't as strong as before. Maybe, it was because she had left the environment, or maybe it was because her mind began to focus on Charlotte.

There was something strange about Charlotte, and Evelyn didn't know how to categorize her. In no sense of the word did Evelyn consider Charlotte a friend or an associate. She was just a temporary business partner, but for some reason, Charlotte's concerned face surprised her. No one, except for her mother, had ever asked for her well-being. Yes, Charlotte was strange indeed, but there was something about her that intrigued Evelyn; and she wanted to know more about her.

"She kind of reminds me of that boy," Evelyn mumbled as she walked inside of the den.

"Reminds you of what dear?" Rebecca asked from her rocking chair, knitting.

Evelyn plopped down on the couch.

"There's this girl at school that I don't understand, and she reminds me of this boy that I met."

"Friends of yours?"

Evelyn chuckled dryly. "Not quite."

Rebecca pursed her lips. "I don't see why they couldn't be your friends. If you are enjoying yourself while being around them, then you should get to know them better. Then, you will understand them and vice versa."

Evelyn glanced at the beige carpet beneath her feet. "It's not that simple."

"Nothing is simple, dear. If it were, then no one would have any problems, and the world would be a great place to live in. But it's not." Rebecca placed her knitting materials on the table beside her and got up from her rocking chair and sat beside Evelyn. "So, stop making excuses. I'm sure that they want to be your friend, just as much as you want to be theirs."

Evelyn stood up suddenly and stared at Rebecca. "And who said that I want to be their friends? They are just strange people that I have given some of my time to." Evelyn couldn't dare say that she helped them. It made her feel weak, knowing that she had taken the time to do something for someone else other than herself. "I just want to figure them out, and once I do; they can leave me alone. I don't like them, and I know that they don't like me. Besides, I want to be alone. I like it better that way."

Rebecca stood up and grabbed Evelyn's shoulders and stared her in the eyes. "You try to speak harshly, but I hear the fear and warmth inside of your words. You can fool everyone else, but you can't fool your mother," Rebecca smiled softly.

"I don't know what you're talking about. There's no fear or warmth inside of anything. Just pure honesty."

Rebecca just chuckled softly. She caressed her daughter's hair and walked back to her rocking chair and began knitting again. She softly hummed a simple tune, silently ending the conversation.