Chapter 8

"Evelyn, why are you so cruel?" Alex's voice rang out in the room.

"Cruelty is the way of life. If you don't like my ways, then leave me alone," Evelyn said nonchalantly.

"Maybe you have forgotten our deal?"

"No, I haven't forgotten. I told you that I would try. I never said that it was going to happen every single day. I don't see the benefit of helping others. I'm not getting anything in return."

The voice remained quiet.

"Glad to hear that you're quiet. I actually like you better that way instead of breathing down my neck."

"Evelyn, you will no longer hear from me until these months are over. But I will leave you with this, hearts are easily broken from the cruelty of others and within our souls hold the irreparable damage that is not so easily fixed. However, when we look inside of ourselves and try to disengage ourselves from the negativity, we find that the heart can be mended leaving only warm footprints behind."

"What is that supposed to mean?! My heart is not broken. I'm perfectly fine. Hey! Answer me!"

However, the voice did not answer, and Evelyn was staring at the ceiling with a thin sheet of sweat on her skin. It was just a dream. Evelyn wiped the sweat off of her brow and sat on the edge of the bed. She stared at her hands and saw that they were trembling. She clenched them in a fist, trying to force the appendage to stop.

"This is ridiculous. What was that crazy guy talking about? Hearts are easily broken and irreparable damage and all of that foolishness. Absolutely ludicrous. I'm perfectly fine. I don't need him!"

Evelyn threw her pillow at the wall, making a loud thump against the floorboard causing small dust particles to rise. She didn't know what she was so upset about after hearing Alex's words, but it irked her to no degree. Maybe he was speaking the truth. Evelyn growled at her consciousness and got up and changed into some gym clothes.

"I'm going for a run," Evelyn told her mother, and before she could respond; she slammed the door behind her.

She took off running, trying to ignore the stampeding thoughts in her mind. Her breathing had increased, and her legs started aching from the lactic acid; but she pushed through trying to beat her anger into the ground. Not able to take anymore, she slowed to a jog and then started walking until she stopped completely. Evelyn took in her surroundings and saw that she was at a park.

The children's laughter filled Evelyn's ears as they played on the playground set. She scoffed and sat down on a bench and started looking at the sky. The clouds were obscuring the sun, causing a gentle breeze to caress Evelyn's sweaty skin. She closed her eyes enjoying the feeling; however, the peaceful moment ended when she heard deep voices yelling.

Evelyn opened her eyes in annoyance and jerked her head towards the sound. There were two boys pushing another boy. One of the bullies held the guy that they were picking on while the other guy punched and kicked him. Rage invaded Evelyn's system as if it was a bullet train going two hundred miles an hour. She stalked over to the boys and yelled, "Hey!"

The boy who was in the middle of attacking looked over at Evelyn and before he could say anything, she punched him in the face. The boy looked shocked, but then anger replaced his features. Evelyn smirked as she saw his split lip, but it didn't last long when he punched Evelyn in the face. She turned her head and wiped the blood from her nose staring at him with a hard vengeance.

"Didn't your mother ever tell you not to hit a girl?" Evelyn asked coldly.

"Didn't your mother ever tell you to mind your own business?" The boy asked just as coldly.

"Hey Rodney, you need some help?" Rodney's lackey asked.

"Nah, I got it. Now, run along little girl while us men handle business."

"The only man I see is the one you're beating up on. If you don't want a black eye to match your lip, then I suggest that you leave him alone."

Rodney glared at the insult. "Why you!" Rodney lunged at Evelyn, and the fight continued from there. Rodney's lackey and the boy stared in amazement as the fight ensued and surprised that Evelyn was holding her own. Unbeknownst to them, Evelyn was actually in a gang when she was fourteen and was in it for almost two years, until she died. She had to fight many people to show her worth, and she was extremely proud that she had lost only two times: one with the leader and when she was jumped in. She had trained her mind and body, and she was able to hold her own in any fight; and that was coming very clear to Rodney.

Evelyn punched Rodney in the stomach, and he doubled over in pain. "Have you had enough, or do you want some more? Because I can easily give you another helping," Evelyn glared down at him. Rodney didn't say anything, so Evelyn walked over to him and grabbed his pressure point where his shoulder met his arm and squeezed tightly. Rodney yelled in agony.

"Call off your lackey."

Rodney didn't say anything, so Evelyn squeezed tighter. Rodney clenched his teeth and started breathing heavier. "I didn't hear you. Did you say something?"

"P-Paul, let him go."

"But-."

"Let him go."

Paul let the boy go, and he fell down to his knees.

"Now, that that is over. I want you to promise me that you won't bother this kid again," Evelyn said.

Rodney nodded in response. "Oh, cat got your tongue? Do I need to remind you how to speak? I mean, I could break a few fingers. That was always my favorite thing to do," Evelyn stated nonchalantly.

Rodney's eyes widened. "I-I p-p-promise."

"Good boy!" Evelyn squeezed his pressure point again for good measure. Rodney screamed again, and Evelyn couldn't help but smirk at his pain. She patted his back roughly and walked over to Paul. She punched him in the face causing the bruising of a black eye to form. Paul glared at her and lunged at her. Evelyn quickly dodged and knocked him face forward and got on top of him pushing his left arm up towards his head.

"Now, I can easily break your arm. You know that wasn't smart, right?" Evelyn pushed harder, causing Paul to scream out in pain. "So, do you want a broken arm? Huh? Because I like to hear the distinctive crack, what about you?" Paul screamed a little bit louder and let out a quiet whimper, as Evelyn pushed harder. "What did you say? I couldn't hear you?"

"D-d-don't break m-my arm," Paul whimpered out.

"Ah, I heard you that time! Good, now leave this kid alone; understand?"

"Y-yeah."

"Uh, I believe I deserve a yes ma'am. Let's try that again, shall we," Evelyn stated before pushing his arm even harder.

"Yes ma'am!" Paul screamed.

"Good boy!" Evelyn got off of the bozo and wiped her clothes. "It was nice meeting you boys. Come on, kid." The boy that she had saved looked at her but soon followed her.