Chapter 10

When Evelyn got home, Rebecca had fussed over her injuries; but Evelyn just played it off and said that she fell. Of course, Rebecca didn't believe a word and even stated so; but Evelyn insisted that she was fine. Not knowing how to get the truth, Rebecca let it go stating that dinner was ready.

After Evelyn ate, she headed to her room and thought back to her conversation with Chadwick. He was a strange boy, that was for sure. She couldn't believe that he would just allow someone to beat him up, because it was the 'right thing to do.' In all honesty, it was stupid and idiotic. However, when he was talking; he had a whisper of a smile even through the pain that he was in. "Strange kid," Evelyn mumbled to herself as she got ready for bed.

Wednesday morning, Charlotte was standing by Evelyn's locker. Not again.

"Good morn-. What happened?" Charlotte asked concerned.

Evelyn raised an eyebrow, surprised by the sincerity in Charlotte's voice. This was something new, and she didn't know how she felt about it. Therefore, she decided to change the subject and ignore it. "Why are you here?"

"I thought a lot about what you said about not dealing with kids. So, how about a car wash?"

Evelyn sighed and leaned against her locker. "How is this a good thing?"

"It's for a charity that helps the homeless shelters."

"Why are we always helping the homeless people," Evelyn mumbled to herself. "When is it?" Evelyn asked Charlotte.

"This Saturday at 7:30."

"In the morning?! Are you freaking kidding me?!" Evelyn glared at Charlotte, who squeaked unintentionally.

"I'm sorry. Will you come?"

Evelyn pinched the bridge of her nose and sighed loudly. "Fine, I'll be there."

"Great! See you then!" Charlotte waved and headed in the opposite direction.

"I said that I was going to be there, but I didn't say that I was going to be on time," Evelyn said with a smirk.

Saturday soon came, and Evelyn was heading to the mall's parking lot where the car wash was going to be held. She yawned, showing the world that she was tired. She was not planning on being on time, but her mother forced her to get up. "I never should've told her the time," Evelyn mumbled as she rolled her eyes.

"Good morning, Evelyn!" Charlotte stated cheerfully.

Evelyn grimaced at how cheerful she was this early in the morning. All of that happiness was adding to Evelyn's sour mood, and she didn't feel like retaliating.

"There are donuts over there, so help yourself," a woman stated as she walked over to the two of them.

"This is Mrs. Hinkle. She is the one who coordinated the car wash," Charlotte introduced.

Evelyn did a small wave and headed towards the donuts, relishing in the sugary goodness.

"That's Evelyn. She's not a morning person," Charlotte stated with a grin.

"Aren't we all," Mrs. Hinkle chuckled.

Evelyn rolled her eyes and grabbed another donut.

Cars gradually arrived, and Evelyn was put to work. At first, she hated that she was there; but Evelyn felt a sense of serenity as she washed the cars. It was almost like she was cleaning the anger inside of her and placing it on each car that she washed. She hated to admit it, but she was enjoying herself. Maybe it was because Charlotte's bubbly personality was rubbing off on her, or maybe it was because the environment was cheerful; and it didn't escape Evelyn's attention.

Huh, maybe this is what they meant by getting a reward. Peacefulness? Evelyn squeezed the excess water out of the towel. She wiped the sweat off of her brow and was surprised to see that everyone was packing up.

"Are we done?" Evelyn asked Charlotte.

"Yep! Thanks for helping us out. We really appreciate it, and we raised quite a bit of money for the charity. So, good job!"

"Yeah, well, whatever," Evelyn mumbled and averted her eyes staring at the gravel.

"We'll clean up the rest, and I'll see you Monday. Bye!" Charlotte waved before picking up the wash buckets, leaving Evelyn staring at her retreating back.