Chapter 7

When Evelyn got home, Rebecca was reading the newspaper.

"Hello, sweetie. Dinner is ready."

"I'm not hungry," Evelyn mumbled as she began walking to her room.

"Are you feeling okay?" Rebecca asked feeling Evelyn's forehead. "You don't have a fever."

"I'm not sick. I- I just need some time alone," Evelyn admitted.

"Alright, but if you need to talk I'm here for you," Rebecca kissed Evelyn's forehead.

"Thanks mom."

Evelyn lied back on her bed and stared at the ceiling. Seeing that little boy walk in made her heart feel funny. It was a new sensation, and she did not like the feeling. Before that little boy came in, she was just there passing out soup to some hungry souls. She didn't care about any of them, but seeing those bright blue eyes filled with innocence, caused something to stir in Evelyn's heart. It was a strange sensation that she didn't enjoy, and she knew that it was something that she didn't want to feel often.

Monday morning, Evelyn headed to school. She walked to her locker to see Charlotte standing nearby. She rolled her eyes, annoyed that Charlotte had forgotten their agreement about not being social except at the events.

"Good morning, Evelyn!" Charlotte greeted cheerfully.

"What are you doing here?" Evelyn asked through clenched teeth.

"Oh, I wanted to tell you that we are going to be entertainment at a birthday party. One of the children from my church is throwing a party, and her mother can't afford entertainment. So, the church is going to provide it."

"I don't go to your church, so that doesn't involve me," Evelyn stated as she began opening her locker. Charlotte stood by the side looking disappointed.

"But, what happened to doing a good deed? This will be your chance to do something good for someone else."

"Listen kid, I have done enough good things. I did something last Friday when I was with those homeless people. That should be enough for a couple of weeks. I'm not doing it. Let me know when you have something else that doesn't involve snotty-nosed kids," Evelyn stated as she slammed her locker closed and walked away, leaving Charlotte staring at her in disbelief.