Chapter 2

Evelyn couldn't believe it. She was living, full flesh and blood. She placed her right hand on her chest, feeling the soft thump against her hand. The busy streets of New York evaded her ears as she stood on the sidewalk. Multiple people walked past her going about their day, and Evelyn couldn't believe that she was back on Earth. She pinched herself just to make sure that this wasn't a dream, and she was glad to find out that she wasn't. As Evelyn began walking down the sidewalk, she thought back to how this happened in the first place.

Evelyn pursed her lips and debated for a short while. "Fine, go ahead."

There was a small circle that formed in the middle of the flames, which then transformed into a young boy. He was wearing a white t-shirt with black slacks. He looked to be about six years old.

"Hello, Evelyn," he stated.

"Who are you?"

"You may call me Alex."

"Okay, Alex," Evelyn folded her arms. "What deal are you talking about?"

"If you want to leave this dreadful place, then you must agree to do ten good deeds in three months."

Evelyn glared at Alex. "What happens if I do?"

"Then, you can go to Heaven."

"So, I stay dead?"

Alex hesitated but nodded. Evelyn glared at him, noticing the hesitation. "Don't play with me, little boy. I used to eat kids like you for breakfast. What's the catch? I don't have all day."

"I can't tell you. That's the deal."

Evelyn sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. "Fine. So, what happens if I don't do the ten deeds?"

"Then you will be damned forever, and you will live here for all eternity."

Evelyn chuckles dryly. "Why did your 'father' decide to make this deal? I haven't done anything good before."

"I do not have that answer, but I'm sure that He has His reasons," Alex stated simply.

Evelyn sighed. "Okay, fine. I'm sick of this place, so if you want me to do ten good deeds; then that's what I'll try to do."

Alex smiled and snapped his fingers, and everything that Evelyn knew went black.

When Evelyn woke up, she was sitting on a park bench watching multiple New Yorkers walk by. Now, she just had to figure out how to do these ten good deeds. But the first step was trying to find a place to stay, and she knew exactly where to go.