Chapter 43

Chapter 43

Maya's P.O.V

An hour later, we managed to escape his friends and was now driving down a nonfamiliar route as he held me by the hand. Ain't No Mountain High Enough by Marvin Gaye was blasting through his car speakers as he sat in the driver's seat, horribly lip-syncing to the music.

The overwhelming happiness I was currently feeling soaked through my bones as I tried to savor it all. At this very moment, I wasn't thinking about any deadlines or homework, and it was all because of him. He's the only person that can make my mind and body relax.

I sat back on the chair, feeling myself moving to the music for a bit before I closed my eyes, taking a lung full of fresh air. The window was opened and we relished the roaring wind that blew against my hair and whistled in my ear.

"Are you sure this is the right way?" I asked, "there's barely any cars anymore."

"Trust me, I know where I'm going."

"I hope that's true because the last thing I want is to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with you."

That was a total lie, but I had to threaten him somehow. Did he really know where he was driving?

He gasped. "I'll have you know that there are many people who would love to get stuck with me."

"Okay, then why don't you drive me back and go pick them up so you both can get lost together," I shot back.

"But unless their name is Maya and they're sitting here with me right now then I don't want anything to do with them," Ethan replied.

"That's more like it," my mouth twitched into a smile. It was hard not to smile whenever he said something flattering to me.

As the music diminished, Ethan parked the car on the side of the road and we got out. He grabbed his bag from the back seat and closed the door.

"It's a bit of a walk, I hope you don't mind," Ethan said.

"Do I have a choice?" I smiled.

"No," Ethan replied, "but the view will be worth it."

As we continued walking, I wondered if it was silly to think that he was actually luring me into a trap and someone was waiting to kidnap me at the end of the trail.

"Are we there yet?" I asked.

"Almost," he said, offering a weak smile as he looked at me over his shoulder.

"We've been walking for quite some time now," I complained.

I didn't want to sound like a whiny girl that couldn't even walk for ten minutes straight, but the silence and cold were slowly getting to me.

"Don't worry, I'm not going to hurt you," he smiled, lifting his hands in the air.

"I bet every serial killer in the world has said the same thing before murdering the victim."

"Lucky for you, baby, I'm not a serial killer," Ethan's mouth curved into a smirk.

We passed a few big pine trees before walling in a road full of dense trees. The longer we walked, the more the road went up an incline. After what seemed like forever, we stop and he lets go of my hand. He turned so that we were facing each other, and for a short moment, we just stood there looking at each other.

He smiles. "So, this is it."

I look around at the landscape, then back at him, trying to ignore the tingly feelings in my stomach. A few hundred yards to my left was a view of the city, filled with dense skyscrapers and a million lights. The city spread below me and the atmosphere felt so wide and free. The things that were once huge were now minuscule from here.