Chapter Seven

Ellie's eyes slowly opened as she didn't remember falling asleep, but she definitely knew that she was not on anything this soft. Looking around as she sat up, she gripped the tissue that she had over her as a blanket and scanned the bedroom. The human must have left her here, but why would he have done that? Why did he leave her somewhere comfortable? Rising to her feet, she slid down the pillowcase, landing on the soft bed covers. Holding still, she could hear some rattling noises coming from downstairs as well as quite a pleasant smell.

Making her way over to the edge of the bed, she peered over the edge and thought for a moment before gripping the blanket in both hands, using it as a ladder to get to the floor with a grin. Once again, she felt like a genius. Now if only she knew how she'd get down the steps, she'd feel smarter. 

Taking off across the floor, she ran as fast as she could to the door and stopped in the doorway, looking both ways just to make sure no one was going to see her before taking off towards the steps when she felt several tremors from downstairs get closer to the steps and she quietly gulped. Mark might be mad she wasn't where he left her, and she really didn't want to make that human mad for the third time. Maybe fourth in the less than twenty-four hours, they have known about each other. So instead, she ducked around the corner, hoping she wouldn't be found.

Mark had been busy cooking lunch and had gotten a plate ready for himself and Ellie. He felt the need to cook her something instead of just letting her eat crumbs. Once he had the table set he headed towards the stairs and made his way up them humming a small tune before seeing a flash of brown near the top and crossed his arms. "Alright Ellie. I saw your hair, get out here right now." He ordered her sternly as he climbed the rest of the way up the steps.

Hearing him address her, Ellie gulped as she immediately began shaking at the tone of his voice. Hesitantly she stepped out from her hiding place, slowly raising her head up to look at him with fear clear in her eyes.

Looking down at the tiny woman, Mark gave a small sigh of relief and brought his hand down, lifting her into his palm. "There you are. It wasn't very smart of you to do this. I was just on my way up to get you for lunch." Holding her in his palm, he began to walk and felt a tug on his finger and looked down to see her arms wrapped around his thumb as if she was holding on for dear life.

When his hand came down over her, Ellie didn't know what to do but then looked up at Mark confused as he spoke. She wasn't entirely sure why he was nice, or why he even seemed to care but as he began moving she held back a yelp and held tightly onto his thumb to avoid falling. "Th-Thank you." She mumbled out and lowered her head again. 

Mark just nodding, placing Ellie on the table beside the plate. "Dig in. Have fun." He sighed and sat down, pulling his phone out to check if he's missed any texts or calls when a small voice made his attention turn back to her. 

"W-Why are you being so nice to me all of the sudden?" She asked out to him softly as she cast her eyes back down to the chunk of food in her hands she was nibbling on.

"I'm not. It's just plain wicked not to let someone eat properly." He muttered as he looked back to his phone, browsing through some practice photos he had taken. 

"B-But why-" She began and stopped when his chocolate brown eyes snapped to her with a slightly annoyed look in them.

"Look I told you why!" He spat sharply as he pulled the plate away from her and over to himself, not caring if she was done. "If you don't like it you don't have to eat." He mumbled as he started eating, eyes narrowed at the plate as he tried to think.

Buttoning her lips, Ellie continued to nibble on the chunk of food, tears brimmed in her eyes. Sniffling quietly, she tried to keep herself silent but a fork clattered and before she had time o look a hand was wrapped around her rather tightly. 

"Look, I don't get it. You're crying every five minutes! What's wrong with you?!" He snapped, eyes narrowed at her. Sure he didn't know why he was this upset, but he just was.

"I-I-" Ellie began but her breath caught in her throat, finding herself unable to speak from the sudden fear. She had only wanted to ask a question, why was he so mad?! She was trembling again, she knew it as she tried to fight his grip. "S-Sorry." She stuttered out as she tried to get away from him. 

Mark's eyes widened slightly at how tight he realized he was holding her and he dropped her back to the table and stood up. "I'll clean up." He mumbled as he grabbed the plate and went to the sink. 

Ellie watched him, frozen in fear at what he would do if she decided to run. Instead, she just sat there, arms wrapped around her knees. She was now forcing back the tears, winding up giving herself the hiccups. She did cry way too much since she met him. To him, she was jus this weak, insignificant crybaby...and she was beginning to think he was right.