Chapter Seventeen

Feathershine is absent, and Mottledleaf finally has a chance to do what she wants—counsel any patients that show up.

Of course, Feathershine's absence happens to be on the day when there's an overload of cats.

Mottledleaf: Thanks for coming, Greenfur... now I can schedule for an appointment for next week, if that works? *smiles warmly.*

Greenfur: Sure! *pads out of the room.*

Nettlebounce: *from the buzzer.* Another patient, coming in right now!

Mottledleaf: Alrightie.

A very tall Twoleg walks through the door. Mottledleaf shrieks.

Sushi: W—what? I'm sorry kitty! *picks up Mottledleaf and gently pets her.*

Mottledleaf: TWOLEG ALERT TWOLEG ALERT

Nettlebounce: *through the buzzer.* It's fine, just counsel the human.

Mottledleaf: Human? Such political correctness... *turns to Sushi.* I'm sorry. I'm Mottledleaf, and I'll be counseling you today. *forces a smile.*

Sushi: Oh, uh, okay. I'm Sushi. I'm a Twoleg. Human is the preferred term, yes.

Mottledleaf: So what brings you here?

Sushi: Well, I'm having trouble getting my updates done for my joint account on Wattpad, and I was forced to come here by the person who's writing this chap—

Rio: Stop breaking the fourth wall. That's Dusky's thing.

Dusky: *pokes her head through the window.* I heard fourth wall? 

Rio: It's already broken; don't shatter it anymore >~<

Dusky: Too late! *slams a hammer on the fourth wall.*

Mottledleaf: whaT ARE YOU CRAZY HUMANS DOING?

Dusky: Breaking the fourth wall, duh.

Rio: I will demote you.

Dusky: *disappears suddenly.*

Sushi: *nervously laughs.* So yeah. I was forced to come here by Rio, the one complaining about the fourth wall's breakage.

Mottledleaf: I see... now, what prevents you from doing your chapters?

Sushi: Laziness? Long strings of Hamilton lyrics?

Mottledleaf: Oh, so you're one of those Hamilton addicts?

Sushi: *nods.* Yes, I can't help but quote it on an hourly basis. *under her breath.* ihaveneverseenthegeneralsodespondentihavestartedwritingallhiscorrespondence.

Mottledleaf: I'm sorry, if you need to quote, please do it outside... this is a safe and secure facili—

Feathershine bursts through the door, fur ruffled and eyes wide.

Feathershine: I AM HERE! WHY ARE YOU SITTING AT MY DESK?

Mottledleaf: *neatly folds her paws on the desk.* Doing your job, since you were so horribly late.

Feathershine: *blinks.* Why are there so many cats here?

Mottledleaf: I don't know. *turns to Sushi.* How'd you hear about this place?

Sushi: Spotted Grief Counseling is very famous right now... and the phone number called this office. Your name is quite similar, so we assumed it was the right place... 'we' being all the people who've showed up here.

Mottledleaf: I see...

Sushi: *nods.* So can I go now?

Feathershine: Nah, let me do some real counseling... I have a real degree, unlike that idiot. *gestures at Mottledleaf.*

Mottledleaf: Offensive.

Sushi: *repeats her problem.*

Feathershine: Oh, I see. Just quit. That'll work out great!

Sushi: But... but I can't.

Feathershine: Then you don't have real problems lol get lost. *shoves Sushi out of the office.*

Mottledleaf: That was so rude! How could you even do that!

Feathershine: I'm hungover, I don't care about others yet. *shrugs.*

by Rio. ⛈