[v.i. heavy dirty soul]

"Can you save
Can you save my
Can you save my heavy dirty soul...?"

___

When it rains, it pours.

And the rain starts coming down that night.

That night of Royce's detention.

Her first detention.

Ever.

"Quiet? Okay, maybe. Maybe sometimes. But, silence...? You guys are never silent."

Mrs. Theresa Greene doesn't receive an answer. Instead, all three of her children still at home look up from their meals at the dinner table, smile softly at their mother, and turn back to their plates.

"Okay," Theresa says, dropping her fork and resting her head on folded hands, "What's going on?"

Tobe answers. "Nothing, ma."

"Don't lie to me, boy. You might as well spill--all of you--before Daddy gets home."

"Really," he chuckles. "It's nothing."

Paige plays with the food on her plate. "Royce got sent to detention today."

"Royce!"

She sucks in a sharp, angry breath. "So much for staying out of my fucking business."

"Royce," her mother snaps. "Don't you bring that cussin' around my table."

She drops her eyes. "Sorry, I--"

"Save it. Start talking, young lady. Why'd you get sent to detention?"

"I threw a drink in a girl's face."

"What?" Theresa blinks back a laugh. "Royce..."

"Only 'cause she called us a shit show," Tobe finishes. He shrugs, "In her defense."

"Look at that," Paige's lips curl disdainfully. "Always defending Royce."

"Well," he sniffs, "someone's got to."

"What's that supposed to mean, Tobe!?"

He shrugs again, biting into the food on his fork. "Whatever you want it to mean, big sis."

"Enough!" Theresa turns back to her middle daughter. "Royce, don't you dare make a habit out of this."

"I--"

"Won't if she stops creeping around with Calum Hood."

Royce tears into the chicken on her fork. "Or, I'll answer Mom because your damn name isn't Royce."

"Calum? Why does she keep bringing him up?"

"'Cause she's fucking obsessed with my boyfriend, Tobes."

"Obsessed!? Ha! I'm not obsessed with the idiot ruining my sister's reputation!"

Theresa slams her palms upon the table. "Okay, that is quite enough! That's it! All of you, just--" She groans, running her hands tiredly across her face. "I liked it better when you all were silent."

Paige lifts her glass slowly to her lips, "I liked it better when my little sister wasn't messing around with a drug dealer..."

"Paige! What'd I say?"

"Sorry, Mommy, it's just--"

"You always have to have the last word," Tobe chuckles humorlessly. "Don't you, Paige?"