[i.viii. dollhouse]

"Everyone thinks that we're perfect...
Please don't let them look through the curtains."

__
"Royce? Hey, uh...Royce?"

"What the fuck, Calum? Royce whisper-yells, the light from her phone blinding her. "It's fucking four in the morning!"

"I know, I know," he sighs. "I just...I didn't have anyone else to call."

Royce lets out a loud, long sigh as she falls against the mattress. "What is it?" She asks.

"Can you come get me? I really..."His speech is slightly slurred, as if he's been smo-no, wait, as if he's been drinking. "I really really need a ride."

"Where are you?" Royce asks, because it must just be one of those nights, apparently - it's one of those nights she just can't catch a break. "Do you know the address?"

"Bliss," Calum replies. "I'm at-" He hiccups. "I'm at fuckin' Bliss."

"The club?" Royce exclaims.

"Yeah."

"God. What the fuck're you doing there, Calum?"

"Long-ass story. Can-can you just come?"

"Be there in twenty," Royce replies, and Calum pauses over the line.

"Thanks - thanks, Royce."

She hums. "Don't move."

"I won't," he chuckles. "I'm staying, I'm staying..."

"See you in a sec, Calum," and Royce hangs up the line, pushing herself from bed. She throws on some boots and a hoodie and a scarf because there's no fucking way she's putting on a bra, slipping the scarf from her head and tiptoeing downstairs for someone's keys because she's about to sneak out of the house and there is no way to explain to her parents what the hell's going on if she gets caught.

Not tonight, at least.
__

"Ready, Royce?" asked Tobe as he, Paige and Royce all exited the school building.

It was finally Friday.

And Royce had only let out a sigh as Paige popped the trunk on her A4.

"As I'll ever be, I guess," she'd replied.

Paige had only rolled her eyes. "Don't be dramatic, Pops. This is needed, okay? Dina just misses you, is all."

"Says you," Royce grit, because all day she'd been trying to contain her anxiety for this whole situation. All day, she'd been dreading this time right now as the day completely ended and Royce had to face the music: her fucked-up, drug-addict mother was back in Seattle and there to see her. After all these years, she wanted to "check up" on her children and Royce thought that was some pretty low shit, when she'd all but left her and Chris to fend for themselves. "It's been twelve years and now she misses me? Get the fuck outta here with that, Paige!"

"Look, Pops-"

Royce groaned loudly, rolling her eyes as that nickname grated on her nerves. She threw her bag into the trunk. "What, Paige?"

Tobe hummed. "Takes less muscles to smile, Royce..."

"Shut the hell up, Buddha."

"Royce," Paige had laughed. "It's just dinner. You can make it through one dinner."

And Royce rolled her eyes again so hard they hurt this time, because she knew Paige just wouldn't understand. This wasn't just dinner to Royce like it was just dinner to Paige. This wouldn't be nearly as painful for her as it would be for Royce. Paige didn't know what it was like to have a mom who'd abandoned her, and that was obviously something Royce would never be able to get Paige to understand.