[ii.v. about the money]

"And my bank roll got a big dip..."
__

Calum knew this was going to be a shitty day when he slipped into Ashton's car that next morning hungover as fuck.

"You fucked, too?"

Calum only nods, closing his eyes and pulling his hood over his head. The light hurts. He's got a headache. The world sucks.

"Here," says Ashton, handing him a cup of McDonald's coffee. He's got his own in his hand, another for his friend. "Thought you might be."

Calum takes the coffee gratefully as Ashton pulls from his driveway. He sips, allowing the hot liquid to burn his throat and work its magic and maybe, possibly take away the pounding and discomfort fucking up his whole morning.

"Watch Luke not even show up, today."

Ash snorts, eyes on the road. "Watch me sleep all day in my car."

__

"Whoa," Kennedy begins, as Luke makes his way towards her and Royce outside their Calc classroom. "What the hell happened to you, Luke?"

He only shakes his head. He's got his hood on over a snapback and a pair of aviators over his eyes.

"Don't wanna talk about it."

Kennedy is frowning.

"You guys went to a party last night," Royce asks, folding her arms, "Didn't you?"

Luke pauses. "Yeah."

"What? You did?"

Luke winces at the noise.

Kennedy turns to her. "How'd you know?"

Royce freezes momentarily.

"Butt dial," she shrugs innocently. And she turns to stare pointedly at Luke. "Your friend called me last night. Sounds like you guys had a good time, huh?"

"Wouldn't actually call it a 'good time,'" he says. "But, I heaved my guts this morning," he adds. "And last night, so I'd say that was a shit ton of fun."

Royce shakes her head, chuckling.

She wouldn't be surprised if Calum didn't show up, today.

So, when he does shuffle sluggishly into the classroom ten minutes into the period, Royce is more than a little surprised.

"Hey..." She whispers, as the lesson continues, despite the glare Sister Mary Magdalene has shot him from the whiteboard.

He nods. "Hey...." He slips into his seat beside her. "What'd I miss?"

"Test next week," she sighs. "After that, we review for finals."

And he curses softly, nodding anyway. "Fuck."

Royce looks from the board to her notes. "Y'alright?"

Calum reaches for his things.

Their voices are barely above a whisper.

"I mean..."

"'Cause I called you last night," she says.

Calum can remember exactly when Royce called him and his brows pinch. "I know," he replies. "My phone died."

She nods.

"I'm sorry."

She turns to him. "It's okay," she grins, looking up from her notes. "Just wanted to make  sure you were okay, y'know?"