[iii.viii. the kids aren't alright (remix)]

"I'mma come clean, I'm addicted to you..."

__

Luke is going to make them late to AP Calc.

"Jesus, Luke," Kennedy exclaims, as he stares at himself in the mirror above the kitchen sink, running his hands again through his hair. "How long does it take you to get ready?"

"As long as it takes to get ready."

She rolls her eyes. "Woooooow."

Kennedy thought she spent ages in the bathroom.

Obviously, not as long as Luke.

"Who are you trying to look cute for?" She asks, leaning against the counter, "Michael?"

"Eew," he replies, pulling a face in the mirror. "Fuck no."

And at the sound of Kennedy's laugh, he turns, facing her. And a small grin slowly makes its way upon his face as he really sees her for the first time this morning.

His head tilts slightly.

"You look pretty today," he says.

"Eew," Kennedy groans, wrinkling her nose and pulling her baseball cap lower over her eyes. "Don't look at me. I'm wearing zero makeup."

"What? You look great. C'mere," he exclaims, reaching for her as she evades his grasp, hands still on the bib of her Dodgers cap. He laughs, chasing her around his kitchen. "C'mere--Kenn," he laughs. "Like, would you stop?"

"Hell no."

It's nearly 7:30 on the following Monday morning, and Kennedy, after receiving a very needy text from Luke -- pls pllsss kenn come pick me up i cannot be in the car w emma this morning i hate dropping her off at school -- she decides to be a nice girl and pick him up.

So now, she's at his house.

Which, despite knowing that Luke likes her, is kind of nerve wracking.

"Kennedy," he laughs, as she runs with her hands on her cap around his kitchen. "Come on lemme see."

"No," she whines, as he actually jumps over the kitchen counter, sliding across the marble to jump in front of her.

"No fair, you're like a giant!"

Luke's brow furrows. "Thanks?"

"I mean," she grins, "if you wanna take that as a compliment..."

Luke frowns, "Hey!" He exclaims, as Kennedy laughs loudly in his face.

And so he grabs her, pulling her tightly to his chest.

She yells, face upturned. "Lucas!"

"You're so mean to me," he mutters, face against the crook in her neck. "Why can't you be nice?"

"I am nice," Kennedy replies, her heart hammering. She's so lucky Luke can't see how deeply she's blushing. Her voice is also coming out a bit shakier than she'd like.