Chapter One

Teaser:

Dark Willow cemetery was covered in a thick blanket of white, tombstones peeked out from under their new quilt

Dark Willow cemetery was covered in a thick blanket of white, tombstones peeked out from under their new quilt. The pallbearers carried the casket on their shoulders from the hearse. Grieving friends and family followed in despair.

Avery struggled to hold back her tears. She watched as everybody gathered round, dressed in their somber attire wearing ashen motionless faces. They carried the same heavy feelings like her, maybe even worse; she felt bruised inside, an inexpressible numbness, emptiness. Guilt.

Wanting to pay their last respects, saying their last goodbyes, their eyes were on the mahogany coffin as words from the minister brought on a new onslaught of sobs from the mourners.

Avery was observing the murky pink roses on the casket. The arrangement included Snowdrop flowers, which she knew had been Camille’s favorite. She loved the lovely bell shaped white flowers because it looked like big drops of snow falling from the sky, reminding her of the Christmas season. Holidays with snow had always been Camille’s favorite time of the year.

A tribute to her life through heart wrenching speeches had Ethan, Camille’s husband, shaking in sobs while holding their nine month old baby boy, Mason

A tribute to her life through heart wrenching speeches had Ethan, Camille’s husband, shaking in sobs while holding their nine month old baby boy, Mason. Ethan was a picture of grief, loss and devastation. Avery couldn’t stand looking at him. Grief hung thick in the air.

Watching the casket lowered into the grave through tear-strained eyes, Avery whispered softly, ‘Good-bye my friend’.

After the funeral the reception were held at Camille's mother’s house.

“Mrs Smith, words seem inadequate to express my sadness. Camille brought so many gifts to our lives. I’m just sorry I haven’t seen her in the last three years. I will never forget the love she had for everybody.” Avery embraced Camille’s sobbing mother. She seemed much older than on the photo’s Camille had sent her. Her grey hair was slicked back into a bun on top of her head.

“You know, she asked for you on her dying bed. She asked for you, Natalie and Beatrice. But mostly you.” Her empty eyes brightened and the brown spots in her green eyes made her eyes come alive for a few seconds, and then the sadness returned. “She really missed you while you were gone.”