fourteen; december

d e c e m b e r;

The room was lit by nothing but the Christmas tree, the fairy lights that had been strung haphazardly over the pine boughs an hour earlier, casting their lights illuminating the room in a soft warm light. Dan lay under a blanket on the couch with Phil, his head on his arm as they stared at the tree in a comfortable silence. It was still undecorated – being the reason that Phil had come over.

"I've found the decorations!" exclaimed Dan's Dad holding up a cardboard box that was in a state of disrepair – on the side Christmas Decorations had been scrawled in big uneven letters. Dan detangled himself – rather reluctantly – from Phil and the blanket standing up to stretch.

They had found the fairy lights and tree easily enough, but when they went to find the box full of baubles, left over tinsel, and garland they were unable to find it in the usual spot so Dan's dad had passed him and Phil – who was spending the holidays with Dan's family – the boxes urging them to start setting up the tree.

So they had, with Dan making groaning noises every time Phil put on a new bough, sending him into hysterical giggles as he tried to cover Dan's mouth to prevent his Dad from hearing. They had eventually finished and sat down to admire their work.

"Nice work on the lights boys," commented Dan's Dad giving the tree and appreciating look.

"Sorry it's not the best, I can—"

"It's honestly the best light job we've ever had," professed Dan's Dad and Phil blushed as he glanced at Dan who widened his eyes and nodded in sincerity.

"This one year we just threw them in a tangle on the tree," said Dan and his Dad chuckled. "Mum was the one who always like doing the light," he added as an afterthought. Instead of the small silences that normally followed when Dan mentioned his Mum his Dad nodded.

"I remember your first Christmas she spent hours trying to get the lights all nice because she said she wanted your first Christmas to be perfect, no matter how much I argued you weren't going to remember it," commented his Dad. Dan and Phil laughed, as Dan's Dad heaved one of the brown boxes onto the couch where Phil had previously been sitting.

"Alright, let's get decorating!" exclaimed Dan reaching for a small gold-painted angel made of noodles. He had made it when he was five and given it to his Mum as a gift.

"What are you doing Daniel?" his Dad snapped as he reached up to place it on one of the boughs.

"We need Christmas music!" his Dad exclaimed, pulling out their old radio and a stack of dusty CDs.

"You pick a song," said Dan and Phil pilfered through the choices until he pulled out one and popped it into the player. The beginning chords of 'Oh Come All Ye Faithful' filled the room, sending shivers down Dan's spine. He loved the Christmas season with all his heart.

"Interesting choice Phil," commented Dan's Dad giving Phil an appreciating nod. Dan's Dad was all for the 'classic' Christmas songs.

"I can change it if you like," offered Phil quickly and Dan's Dad shook his head with a laugh.

"Every Christmas song is a good song," he said. "Come and behold Him! Born the King of angels," he sang out, embarrassingly loud. Dan cringed internally but Phil joined in on the chorus laughing and pretty soon Dan was joining in their horribly off-key singing.

"This is... interesting," remarked Phil pulling a coloured ball of hardened mini-marshmallows out from the box. He peered inside, a look of surprise forming on his face as he viewed the assortments of decorations they had which was mainly a collection of crafts Dan had made as a child and a couple stray multi-coloured baubles.