ten; august

a u g u s t;

Fourteen days into August, the heat spell broke, and dark heavy rain clouds took over the previously blue sky. Dan exited his flat only  to be hit by a firm wall of rain, driven sideways by the blustering winds. He had never missed his car more than in this moment – his Dad had taken their now shared car to London for the weekend as he continued the futile search for a job.

Unfortunately for Dan, newspapers were delivered 'rain or shine' hence, the reason Dan had exited his flat on a foul day like this. At least, he thought, the weather is considerably cooler. He attempted to flatten the bulging bag of papers against his chest, but his raincoat was of no use, the flimsy material having almost soaked through to his jumper.

Flipping his soaked fringe out of his eyes, he jogged towards the first house on his route, dropping the paper on the doorstep – an improvement to what he normally did – and paused under the overhang for a moment before stepping back out into the fray.

By the time Dan had reached the shop – where Phil had previously worked and Pj now worked – he estimated he had delivered half the papers – the rest lay waterlogged and soaked through in the bottom of his bag. He decided to step into the shop for a few moments relief before he continued on his route.

The door chimed as he stepped inside, goosebumps immediately rising to his skin as the fans were still running making the air chilly. Dan's clothes clung to him like a second skin, chafing as he took small awkward steps into the shop. The store was deserted, no one daring to leave their houses in weather like this. Dan spotted Pj at the cash register, headphone clamped over his head as he focused on a screen.

Dan headed towards him, his shoes squeaking against the shiny floors, leaving small water droplets trailing behind him. He was acutely aware of the water droplets sliding down his nose and the sides of his face. He attempted to wipe at them with his sleeve – succeeding only in adding water.

"Hey," said Dan approaching the cash. Pj didn't replying, bobbing head to a song that Dan couldn't hear. Dan rolled his eyes waving his hands in front of the boy's face. Pj gave a start jumping backwards with his hand over his chest. Dan grabbed his laptop as it fell back with him – due to the headphones still over his ears – moments before the device fell off the counter.

"Jesus Dan," sighed Pj, clutching his heart. "You gave me a heart attack," he added sliding his headphone around his neck and Dan grinned at the boy. Over the past month they had become good friends, Dan returning to shop after his paper route each day – for lack of better things to do.

"Sorry mate," apologized Dan passing Pj his laptop. He flipped open the screen, saving whatever he had been working on, before coiling the headphones over top.

"It's fine. What the fuck happened to you?" asked Pj taking in Dan's soaked state.

"Um..." Dan said gesturing to one of the windows where the foul weather could be seen. Pj gave a start, as though he was shocked to see the state outdoors.

"It was only drizzling when I arrived. Nobody's came in all day so I've been pretty locked in my own little bubble," answered Pj.

"Peej..." tutted Dan admonishing his friend with a shake of his head. Pj rolled his eyes.

"Shut it," he said though he was grinning at Dan. "Let me get you a towel," he added jumping over the register and disappearing down an aisle. "Here," he said, returning moments later from the 'Home and Bath' section with a fluffy pink towel in his hand.

Dan took it, holding it gingerly between his thumb and forefinger. "Are you sure?" he asked "I – I can't pay for this." He glanced at the price tag, shocked at the expense of a simple towel.