thirteen; november

n o v e m b e r;

The music pounding from Mitch's colossal house could be heard from nearly a block away. Dan held tightly to Phil's hand as they walked up the drive, they had both walked to the party due to their dual lack of cars. People were strewn out on the lawn, drinks in hand. Dan recognized a few people from school – Mitch's theatre friends – but there were several people he had never seen before.

"Mitch has really gone all out," commented Phil under his breath as they entered the party, greeted by a table that was nearly sagging underneath the weight of the drinks and strobe lights that light up the room with a pulsing light.

"His parents are out of town," replied Dan. Last weekend Mitch had called up Dan sobbing in a frantic state. Dan had rushed over to his house for Mitch to blubber out the whole story. His Mom had been granted a six-month period with him, and he was leaving for Paris in two weeks' time. When Mitch had gotten wind of the weekend his Dad and Jesmyn were planning, he in turn planned a huge party at his house.

Dan had – with the permission of Mitch – invited Phil along. After their 'spontaneous' kiss in the shop, they had been on fragile ground. They hadn't really discussed what had happened, but it hung in the air every time they engaged in a conversation – normally, they spent more time kissing than talking, trying to avoid the elephant in the room.

"Danny!" slurred Mitch approaching the couple. He draped himself over Dan, smelling strongly of alcohol. Dan grabbed the plastic cup in his hand, loosening it from his grip.

"I think you've had enough of this," he said, handing it to Phil who deposited it on a nearby table, out of Mitch's grasp. Mitch's eyes widened as though he had just realized Phil was there.

"Cashier boy!" he exclaimed, clumsily extracting himself from Dan's grasp and launching himself on Phil. "Thank God you and Danny have made up. Danny was going a little—" he made circular motions with his hand around his head. "— crazy without you around."

Dan blushed as Phil raised an eyebrow. "Oh really?" he asked and Mitch nodded.

"Of course, I wasn't talking to him either," he said. Then he leaned close to Phil's ear. "I think he was on his man period," he said in a loud whisper that deepened Dan's blush.

"Okay... we need to get you some water," he said pulling Mitch away from an amused Phil. "Let's go," he grumbled, half-supporting Mitch as he led him through the party to an empty room off the hall.

"Can you get him some water? I should probably keep an eye on him," said Dan and Phil nodded. "Oh and if you see Charlie tell him to come help. He's average height, blonde and wears glasses," Dan described and Phil paused at the door before nodding and heading out towards the kitchen.

Dan pulled out his phone, ignoring Mitch incomprehensible chatter. He heard him mutter something about a "stage" then "moths" before he started giggling uncontrollably. He opened a text to Charlie typing out quickly.

Dan Howell: Hey are you at the party?

Charlie's response came immediately leaving Dan to believe he was somewhere in the house leaning against a wall, scrolling on his phone.

Charlie Keynes: yep y?

Dan Howell: need you to help me with mitchie, he's a lil tipsy :/ in the guest bedroom to the left of the game room.

Charlie Keynes: omw

Dan shoved his phone back into his pocket as he waited for Charlie. Had it been anyone else, he would have felt guilty for removing them from the party, but as he knew Charlie would run a mile for Mitch, and most likely had come to this party for Mitch, he didn't feel bad.