I want to be your "friend"

I walk through the halls of my smelly, awkward high school. I got some very lovely stares, and some giggles and whispers as I walk by. I finally see my locker in view, and a guy right next to mine. I recognize his light brown head even though his back is turned to me. Butterflies rumble in my stomach as the flashbacks rush in my mind. The first year of high school, he made my life a living you know what. He bullied me constantly. He even punched me in the face more than once. And guess who got the blame for defending herself? His name is Ethan. He's the quarterback for our football team. I swear he was a grade higher than me, maybe he got held back? Or maybe the rumors were just a lie. Anyway, I'm terrified. My hands tremble so much, I have to tuck them into the pockets of my pants. I almost put a restraining order on this guy, but I didn't because I thought he was leaving the school, but there he is. I take a breathe and go over to my locker.

     I swear if he does anything to me, I will-

     "Hey there." I jump when I hear his locker slam. My throat swells up, I stop breathing for a second. I close my locker door and dare to look at him. I do and he just stands there, leaning against his locker, smiling, looking like he won't punch me in the face at any second. I nervously bite my lip ring. I quickly open my locker again and bury my face in it.

     "Umm..." He says slowly. I pull out a hoodie from my backpack and pull it over my head.

     "You know, it's like 90 degrees outside right?" He says.

     I remain silent.

     "Not much of a talker, eh?" He said. "I'm Ethan by the way." He says it like he doesn't even know me. Like he never broke my nose.

     I look at him puzzled. His looks even changed. His light brown hair is shorter, it looks like he's been working out a lot more, and that smile.

     "Why are you talking to me?" I said. I was so confused.

     Get ready for another broken nose.

     "Well, your locker is right next to mine, and I was thinking about making new friends. You know, new school year, new friends. What's your name?" He said.

     Is this boy messing with me?

     "You don't remember me?" I say quietly.

     He frowns. "Uh, no?"

     "Last year, you broke my nose, more than once." I said. He did a lot more than that, but as I said, I don't like talking to people. Or talking in general.

     He looked confused at first. Then... "Oh, oh my gosh. Penelope." He says slowly.

     I close my locker and began walking away.

     "W-wait!" He jogs up to me.

     "Get away from me?" I said louder than I meant.

     "Listen, I am so, so, sorry." He said. "I feel like a complete jerk, and I am truly sorry."

     I, again, remain silent.

     He takes a deep breath. "Okay, listen, over the summer, I've become aHold on!" He says.

     "I'm not interested in your fake religion!" I yell louder drawing attention. I quickly look at the ground.

     "No, no, no that is not my attention, okay? I'm just getting used to this Christian thing myself. I just thought you and me can start over? Be friends?" He says.

     "Maybe..." I whisper and I put my earbuds in. I turn my music up and walk away from him.

     In math class, I sit in the back, as I always do. I pull out my earbuds and put my iPod away. I watch as people enter the classroom, some smiling a giggling, some not able to get their hands of their partners. And then he comes in. His eyes scan the room, when he meets my eyes, he smiles. I look down at my desk, avoiding his eye contact. Why is he being so weird? He was a jerk last year and the year before that. He constantly humiliated me and bullied me. Why is he being like this. Is it another trick?

     It's a trap! A quote from my favorite movie pops in my head.

     I'm such a nerd... 

     He takes a seat right in front of me. A gust of his manly cologne hits my nostrils.

     He even smells good.

     I look around the room, trying to avoid the butterflies in my stomach. Girls are drooling and batting their eyelashes at him. I pull my hood further over my head, and lean back.

     After my normal classes, I head to lunch. I get my food and sit at the table in the back. I almost feel like royalty when I eat lunch. No one ever sits with me and everyone knows the table belongs to me.

     I put the earbuds back in my ears. I bite into my sandwich and savor the flavors. My eyes close. Oh, how I wish I can eat like this at home. The only good thing about this school. Ironic.

     Suddenly the manly cologne scent hits my nostrils again. My eyes fly open and I jump when I see Ethan sitting across from me, a huge grin on his face. My shoulders naturally shrug up, my face feels like it's on fire.

     "Hey Penny," He says. "Mind if I call you Penny?"

     I shrug. I feel like crawling under the table and dying. This is humiliating.

     He points at my iPod. "What are you listening to?" He asks.

     I frown. "What kind of game are you playing, Ethan? You are not a nice person especially to me." I spit out.

     "I promise. No games. I know we don't have the best past, but I want to start over. I'm a new person now." He said.

     I snort. "Why? Because you're a Christian now?" I glare at him.

     "Exactly." He says with his mouth full. He swallows. "I'm a better person now. And I will prove it to you. I'll sit with you everyday, I'll be your friend, heck I'll even buy you tickets to my games. 'Cause that's what friends do. I can even take you to church." My eyes grow wide. "When you're ready." He clears his throat. "Give me a chance, please?"

     "Fine." I sigh. "But if this is a trick, I will hunt you down and stab you." I say.

     He laughs. "I promise, no tricks up my sleeves."

     Having someone across from me starin at me while I ate, was awkward, but it kind of felt nice at the same time. Like I wasn't alone in the world.