Autumn_Breeze Presents: Arranged Marriage To Mr. Right - Everett Right's POV

Start from the beginning

Richard Right, with his head full of white hair, countless wrinkles, and seemingly kind but efficient mannerisms, appears not to have heard my self-encouragement as we follow his clipped pace through the Moroii family estate. That is for the best.

Richard stops at a pair of heavy wooden doors and lifts his hand to knock. After only a few seconds, a husky, 'come in,' has Mr. Right pushing into the room with my father only slightly behind him.

The pair is uncomfortable in each other's company, and I suppose that is to be expected despite the wedding that took place just a few hours ago. They have been enemies far too long for them to ever be anything else.

Will Thanos and I ever be anything more than sons caught in our father's war?

Bowing my head, I close my eyes and suck my bottom lip between my teeth.

I fear the answer is no.

"The papers," Richard speaks to his son. I lift my eyes for only seconds, taking in the strained appearance of my new husband. There is no denying he is handsome despite the unhappy expression he wears.

Thick caramel hair brushes his neck and shimmering blue eyes, as deep as an ocean, seem to take in everything around him— missing nothing. They're a stunning complement to his solid features. Pointed jaw, cleft in his chin; most days, from what I have seen of him, there is a shadow of unshaven facial hair. Today, he is well groomed, perfectly put together in honor of our wedding— if being married can be called an honor at all.

Thanos steps forward, accepting the folder from his father. It is the peace treaty— with a few notable changes I doubt my spouse is going to approve of. It isn't as if he can really refuse to sign the treaty. As far as I am concerned, the real damage is done. The wedding contract has been signed, dated and passed into the safekeeping of our families respective elders.

"This isn't what I agreed to," Thanos' declares. Richard shifts on his feet and doesn't meet Thanos' hard stare as if he is . . . ashamed. "Sharing a bed? Being faithful, and committed to our vows? Children in ten years' time to solidify the bond? This is ludicrous."

We would have to share a bed. The idea isn't horrifying. Nor is the idea of being faithful and committed to our vows. My own parents, regardless of the current strain on their marriage and the monumental changes taking place in our family, have always been faithful and committed to their marriage. Children, though . . .

My cheeks burn if the heat is any indication. How will we even . . . produce children? Both of us are men.

Lifting my eyes from the floor for only a moment, I catch the expression of outrage on Thanos' face.

"Thanos—" Richard begins. Thanos flings the folder at the aging man and it hits his chest before fluttering to the floor. Bending over with slow grace, Richard retrieves it without so much as a twitch of his jaw to give away his feelings. If I had done such a thing to my father, I would be laid across the floor nursing a number of broken bones— at best.

"If you want peace that badly, I suggest you two marry," Thanos sneered. Now, Richard's jaw ticks. Thanos meets his hard glare unflinching. I shift as the tension rises in the room.

Has he forgotten we are already married?

Dropping the folder on the table, Richard tucks one of his hands into his pocket. "You will do your duty as the next head of this family."

Turning, Richard is clearly finished with this conversation. My father doesn't spare me a glance as he follows his nemesis from the room. The door settles against the jam with a resounding SLAM. Thanos' gaze is hot like the midday sun when I meet it.