Part 16

The little girl drew out a stool from her desk and stood on it to look at the topmost shelf but still could not find it.

“Now where could he have put it?” she asked herself.

Getting off the stool and skipping to her parent’s room she looked in their blanket box. Sure enough, tucked under the bottom most blanket was the blue conch shell.

This teasing was all good natured, there being no evil spiritual influence felt in the Bosom for the demons were kept out by the membrane that existed between the Blighted Land and the Bosom.

Sometimes Chelnuk would go down to look at the chasm, and across it to see if he could see any of those damned to destruction. Many a time did he see a disembodied spirit or what seemed to be a floating jellyfish throw itself at the membrane. His mother had told him never to tarry too long near it or to look into evil that was on the other side. But he was intrigued about the life that flowed back and forth over the dark part of the land that was ripped from the earth when the Bosom was created long ago.

As Chelnuk stared across the chasm, Kendra appeared by his side. “Son, why do you stare so through the membrane?”

Chelnuk jolted, as if being caught doing something wrong, “No reason Father,” he said averting his eyes.

“Oh Chelnuk, even looking at this distance into evil causes you to be deceitful.”

“Sorry Father, I just like looking at the shapes of the spirits and seeing if I can spot people, or other Nephilim.”

“Well then, the truth at last. Do not be eager to leave the Bosom my son, for if you do, and go into the world of men, you will experience all forms of temptation and sin. Thence may you also find out your heart, whether it is good or evil, and so be separated from us for ever if evil is found in you.”

“But Father, how do I know if I am good or evil?”

“Only our Lord knows who are his in this place. I pray that you are His.” He ruffled Chelnuk by the hair and said, “Let’s be home now to taste your mother’s fine meal.” Then, “did you get the peppers from the barter I told you about?”

“Yes, but they are a bit small. I think he picked them too early.” They made their way back home.

Kendra was a little distant at mealtime. “What is it with you?” asked Salinas.

“I should be with my men, we have a battle in the next day or two and I shall not return home until it is finished.”

“I worry about you. You are not like your father, an immortal. I do not wish you to visit me as a spirit, and to spend my life as a widow in this place, until the end of time.”

KendraOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara