Part 39

“Neeka, what are you doing girl,” cried Gilleen, “Can’t you take more care? Here let me help you.” Gilleen helped Neeka pick up the peelings, “Chelnuk, you can go with Neeka if you wish, she is off to feed the pigs with the peelings.”

Neeka was attractive and also wore her hair up. Wearing an apron dirtied by the constant peeling of vegetables she stood at the door. Chelnuk opened it for her, “Why thank you,” she smiled.

They walked to the animal pens behind the kitchen.

Neeka gave Chelnuk the bowl, “Here hold this.” She then untied the pen and went in. “Well come on, you’re not afraid of a few pigs are you?” she goaded him.

He looked a bit sour faced as he entered the pen, the pigs surrounded him because he held the bowl.

“Here, give it to me,” she said and took it from him. As she scattered the peelings the pigs wolfed them up and snorked.

“What a funny sound these animals make,” he noticed.

Laughing in a bright, chiming way she asked, “Have you never seen pigs before?”

“No, there are not many animals where I live, and we do not eat them.”

“How strange, where do you live?”

Thinking for a moment he then told her, “I live at the palace now.”

“You are a strange one, what are you doing here then?”

“My father is Kendra, the King’s champion. He brought me to court to...uh... find a wife.”