Part 34

He looked the lad up and down, “He is a fine boy Kendra, a credit to you.” The king then held his hand out to Chelnuk.

Looking at his father he waited until he saw him purse his lips and nod. Chelnuk grasped the king’s hand and the king slapped him on the shoulder.

“We must have some kind of celebration,” said the king. “Menelas,” he cried.

A personal servant entered the room slightly bemused.

“This is Kendra’s son.”

Menelas made a strange half grimace, half smile.

“I wish to prepare a feast for him, arrange it.”

Menelas bowed and left.

“Now tell me, Chelnuk is it, where has your father been keeping you?”

Chelnuk looked at his father and realised from his expression that he needed to be wise with his answer, “At home,” he replied.

The king laughed and took both Kendra and Chelnuk into the garden to find out more about his best fighter’s son.

Within two hours a banquet had been prepared. Sitting with Chelnuk to his right and Kendra to his left the king chatted. The King’s wife sat next to Kendra. Chelnuk had never seen such a variety of food and never tasted wine. He ate and drank heartily. Meat was also new to him. His father said nothing.

“So you like beef then?” asked the King.

“It has a good savoury taste.”

“Have you never tasted it before?” enquired the King.

“He has never eaten meat,” interrupted Kendra.

“I hope he is not too ill in the morning then,” chimed the Queen.

That night Kendra carried Chelnuk to his private apartment.