Chapter 5: At Home

"Dude, where have you been?"

Lance greeted me at the front door of our apartment as I stepped in. His eyes darted up and down my face.

"Dude, you look like hell" he said, noting my black eye. "What happened?"

"Some guy mugged me a few blocks from the parking garage" I said.

"Well, did you call the cops? An ambulance? GIVE ME THE DETAILS MAN!"

I slumped down on the couch, pushing aside Lance's guitar.

"Someone rescued me" I said. "It was...Rose Delacourt."

"The Ice Queen saved you?" Lance hurriedly sat down next to me.

"She beat the guy over the head with a shoe. Then I passed out, and she took me to her apartment to be patched up."

"Dude, that's awesome! What's her place look like? Did you look through her underwear drawer?"

I sat up, my eyebrows furrowed. "Of course I didn't, you perverted asshole. She just put me in a bed and left me to sleep it off. Nothing you would've liked to happen happened."

"You're no fun, dude" Lance examined my eye closer. "Think you'll be back to work by Monday? I'm sure Albany will give you some time off."

I sat up straight in my seat.

"Actually, starting tomorrow, I won't be working at Montgomery's anymore" I said. "Miss Delacourt offered me a job as her butler."

A look of shock crossed Lance's face, but then erupted into a massive smile. He threw his hand onto my shoulders.

"Bro, that's sweet!" he said. "You get a job working for the hottest business lady in the world! Why didn't you text me and tell me sooner?"

"I was too busy taking it in myself"

"How'd you get it?"

"Apparently cleaning wine glasses works better than a job interview"

Lance leaned back in his seat.

"Well, I wish I can say I'll miss you at Monty's but how can I knowing you got it better? This'll be your chance to get closer to her. Get some action for once."

"Lance, no."

"I swear, Thomas, scientific researchers could study you for centuries and never understand you. This super-model billionairess clearly wants you, and you're not doing anything about it!"

"She's my employer. It'd be unethical."

Lance sighed. I loved the guy to death. He'd always been there to help draw me out of my comfort zone. But clearly he was getting tired of these conversation that highlighted the clash in our personalities.

"Whatever, man" he said, standing up from the couch and approaching the kitchen. "I still think you're missing out. The Ice Queen clearly has you frozen."