Explaining Things

Start from the beginning

I was about to say something else but Lillian spoke first.

"I know I'm not a very good daughter," she said. "But when I go to school and see all the volunteer mom's in the hallways I think of how mom used to bring cookies to the bake sales, how she used to be a part of the PTA and I would be able to see her all the time."

I was too shocked to speak so I pressed my lips together.

"I'm tired of people asking if I'm OK. I've been lonely ever since mom died." She paused and wiped her eyes.
"That's why me and Kyle are together. He's the only one at school who understands what it's like to not have a mother."

I slid down the wall and sat on the ground with my arms on my knees.

"Kyle is a really good guy, dad. That bad boy thing is just an act.
Last night when we left, we just went to go find a gift for Sarah's birthday at the 24hr store down the block. That's why I told Sarah to get the water herself. Cause I was supposed to go with Kyle to get her gift," Lillian said. "I think you really hurt his feelings. The spray painting was a code word for shopping."

I sighed again.

"I'm sorry," I felt a tear roll down my cheek as I said the words. "I'm sorry your mom died. I'm sorry I yelled at you. But you should have just told me. I would have gave you some money to get her a gift." I said.

"I wanted to do it myself." Lillian said. "I wanted Kyle to be there and no one else because no one else knows what it's like."

"Okay, let's start over." I said.
"Good morning Lillian how are you today?" I asked trying to make things a little better.

"I'm fine. But I need to catch up on home work." She said.

I could tell that that (there is no typo, there is supposed to be 2 that's.) was her way of telling me she wanted to be alone so I nodded and left her room closing the door behind me.

I walked into the living room to check on Rachel and Sarah and saw that they were on the couch watching Dora the explorer.

I walked over to them and they looked up at me.

"Are you guys hungry?" I asked.
They nodded and I went to the kitchen.

I made a ham and cheese sandwich with mustard and cut it into 2 triangles. I took out two small plates and put a triangle on both of them.

I took a bag of potato chips out of the pantry and put a little on each plate. I put the chips back and went to the fridge and took out two juice boxes.

I brought the food to the living room and sat it in front of them on the coffee table.

"Don't forget to say grace," I told them.

"GRAAAAACE!!" They both said at the same time.
(For those of you who don't get the joke, it's from Logan Paul vs. ballet)

I laughed and walked to my room to take a shower.