Chapter 1

Please note that this chapter has NOT been edited properly.

The Daughter of Artemis

Chapter 1

Alexander Smith stepped out of his car. At seventeen, he was quite a catch. Raven hair accompanied by sky-blue eyes, made him almost irresistible. Girls at his school swooned over his muscular build and tall frame. Maybe it was the money- which he had plenty of- or maybe it was the fact that he was the most popular guy in the school. As he made his way into school, he proceeded to wink, smirk, and catch the attention of the whole female  population at Robinson High School.

However, cursed with being dyslexic and having ADHD from birth, Alexander or Alex was far from perfect. He wasn't even the brightest bulb in the tool shed. Still, most of the school didn't see him that way. In their eyes he was the best thing that walked on the planet, and he didn't mind. And to top it off, he got special privileges as the football captain and quarterback.

Life was pretty sweet for a certain Alex Smith.

Alex continued to walk to his favorite class, oblivious to the world around him. A couple boyfriends glared at him, a few girls fixed their make up, some even tried to strike up a conversation. All were ignored. Walking into Greek Mythology he spotted the one teacher that understood him and listened to the things he said; Mr. Brunner. He understood Alex's interest in mythology and his problems as a person. Alex felt like Mr. Brunner filled the shoes of his distant father, who left his mother when she was pregnant with him. They knew everything about each other; almost like best friends. Like how Alex knew that Mr. Brunner was put into a wheelchair ever since he was a kid and that he never wanted to speak of it.

Alex chatted easily with Mr. Brunner until the bell rang and he had to sit down in his assigned seat. Throughout the class Mr. Brunner's voice echoed through the room, catching all of the teenager's attention. They were learning about the gods, and more specifically, one of the main men, Poseidon, the god of the sea. They discussed his role in Greek culture as well as his Roman counter part, Neptune. Just as the class was at its climax, the bell rang, making all of the students jump.

"Alex," the gray haired man called to the young boy as he was leaving the classroom, causing him to look back. "Come here for a minute."

Alex said farewell to his friends and turned around, walking up to the man's desk. "Did you need something, Mr. Brunner?" He questioned the man behind the desk. As an answer, Mr. Brunner wheeled around his desk and stopped in front of Alex.

"No, I just wanted to give you something," Alex nodded as Mr. Brunner took off the ring that rested on his finger and placed it into Alex's open palm. He was about to object the gift but before he could, Mr. Brunner put up his hand to silence Alex before he even spoke. "Do not argue with me Mr. Smith, it's for your protection. I have a funny feeling that something is coming and it wont be a good thing, so in case that happens I want you to have this.

"Now remember if you're ever in trouble, press the stone in the center of the ring and it will help you. Understand?" Mr. Brunner finished his speech and all Alex could do was give him a confused and cautious nod, thank him, and exit the room.

The thing that got Alex scared was not that Mr. Brunner was worried something might happen to him, but instead the feeling in the pit of his stomach that told him Mr. Brunner was right. His gut was in a knot, and his mind was clouded with worry. Something was very wrong. 

Fortunately, nothing happened in the next couple of days, but that still didn't stop the horrible feeling in the pit of Alex's stomach. In fact, if it was possible, it got worse. Now it seemed that Alex was looking everywhere he turned and flinching whenever someone caught him by surprise. At the end of one day at school, Alex was let out of Math late and was very on edge with uneasiness. The clang of his locker echoed through the hallway, but was disturbed by a hissing noise. He froze; one second passed, two. Alex turned his head to look down the hallway and subconsciously got into an defensive stance as he looked at the woman down the hall.