The Darkest Side of Me

Start from the beginning

It landed with the Sharingan pattern facing the midday sky.

World Two: Present

Boruto was unnaturally quiet and that scared Sarada. Any attempt to talk to him merely got her short, one word answers. He was never this serious, but he actually looked terrified. Luckily the adults weren't paying much attention to the children in their care and while Ansei had seemed to have noticed the change in their blonde companion, he didn't seem to care enough to be concerned. Boruto kept his eyes down as they walked and Sarada kept her eyes on him.

"We'll be fine, Boruto." She whispered. "Stop acting like this."

"How do you want me to act?" Boruto snapped. "I can't let anything happen to her."

"And nothing will. She promised she wouldn't activate the Byakugan and this is practically a civilian mission; not to mention that we aren't even civilians. You need to calm down, Boruto, before the adults start getting suspicious."

"What if our plan doesn't work?" Boruto asked. "Then what?"

"Then we find Sasuke and get him to send us home."

Boruto bit his lip and turned away. "You'll talk to him again," Sarada whispered.

"Who cares if I talk to him again?" Boruto growled. "He's the one that got us into this mess! I don't care if I never see my dad again!"

Sarada blinked. "You don't mean that," she muttered.

"Of course I do. Dad probably doesn't even care that we're gone."

"Your father loves you," Sarada tried to reason.

"He has a horrible way of showing it."

Sarada clenched her fists, but decided to let the subject die. There was no point in arguing with him about that now. "Sure, Boruto. But we need to start working on our plan. Have you considered what kind of plant to get your dad?"

Boruto looked up at the sky. "Probably something bright," he said. "Dad likes plants that grow in sunny spots, like sunflowers." He smiled softly at his sister.

"I don't think we can get him a sunflower, but will any flower do?"

Boruto nodded. "Yeah. Daddy likes flowers."

"Great!" The two continued to discuss their plans as they walked, keeping their voices quiet so not to tip off Naruto or the others about their plotting. They didn't even want Himawari to hear them because she might tell the others about it. She may be powerful and smart, but she was still just a child.

When the group stopped for the night, it was already dark out. Even though Naruto thought the kids he was walking with were civilians, they still kept them walking until well passed sundown. They stopped by a small spring that would provide water and the adults planned when each one would take shifts. Sarada sat down away from the group, watching them as Naruto worked to get a fire going and Taiyaki worked with his mother to prepare a stew for cooking.

Sarada narrowed her eyes slightly as she watched. That was her mother and that kid didn't have the claim to her that she did. She clenched her fists angrily. This was stupid, and it was all Boruto's fault! He didn't have to get in such a large argument with his dad. Why did he have to be so ungrateful? At least he got to see his dad every day, even if it was just a shadow clone sometimes. At least Himawari was mature enough to know that her dad was busy! Why did Boruto have to be such a spoiled brat?

"Is something wrong?" Taiyaki asked. Sarada looked up. She hadn't even noticed the red-haired boy had come to her. She looked down and noticed that she was trying to choke the life out of a stick that she hadn't even realized that she picked up.