The Darkest Side of Me

Author's note: World One is the canon world that takes place In the manga. World Two is the world where Naruto is married to Sakura. Please try not to get confused! There won't be a lot of world switching. This story will mostly take place in World Two, but the canon people need their moments for this all to make sense.

Chapter Five: The Darkest Side of Me

World One: Two Days Ago

Naruto hadn't even noticed his kids were gone. After his heated fight with his son, he had decided to give his child much deserved space to cool down. That morning, Naruto went to check on them. Hinata would return from a mission later that day. They were gone, but he figured that Boruto had gotten up early to avoid having to talk to his father. Naruto sighed deeply as he signed another piece of paper. The stack was finally coming to an end.

"N-Naruto-sama!"

Naruto lifted his head as the door swung open, revealing Konohamaru. The young man bent over, panting. Mitsuki walked in behind his sensei. "Konohamaru, Mitsuki-kun, what is the meaning of this?"

"Boruto didn't show up for practice!" Konohamaru gasped. Naruto's blood froze. "Sarada didn't either!" Naruto stood and gathered his sage chakra. He scanned the village and the surrounding area, only to find that the children's chakra was nowhere to be found. His eyes snapped open. Even worse, Himawari's chakra was also not present. He scanned desperately and found their residual chakra trails, but his body began to shake when he realized that their chakra signals simply vanished about two kilometers aware from the village gates.

The next two hours were a blur. Naruto stood where the chakra trails had run cold, but there were no bodies or anything to indicate a struggle. Boruto and Sarada were not experienced enough to cover their own chakra, let alone Himawari's. "Kiba!" Naruto shouted. The man ran to him with his dog on his heels. "Please tell me you found something" he practically begged. Kiba shook his head.

"No blood, no nothing. It's like they just vanished."

"That's not acceptable!" Naruto shouted. The only way their chakra would be gone is if they were dead, but there was no sign of a killing anywhere in the area. Naruto closed his eyes. How would he tell Hinata? How would he tell Sakura or Sasuke? "Find something!" Naruto screamed at Kiba. All the power in the world and he couldn't find his own children.

"Naruto, you need to calm down," Kakashi muttered, motioning Kiba to walk away. Naruto spun to glare at his teacher as he advanced on them.

"Calm down? How am I supposed to calm down?! They are gone! There is no chakra signal! Nothing! It's like they don't exist anymore! How am I supposed to be calm?!"

Kakashi gipped his student's shoulders. "By calming down. You won't find them by acting like this, Naruto. You need to focus. You've been so focused on their chakra. What about strange chakra? Is there anything in the area that you don't recognize?"

Naruto stared at Kakashi. "Yeah," he muttered. He closed his eyes and focused. He felt the chakra of the villagers he had grown to know, and the fading trails of the three children, then a slightly older trail of someone he didn't recognize and a chakra that didn't feel like chakra. His eyes snapped opened. "Something's strange," he said to Kakashi. "I feel... something.

"What is it?" Kakashi asked.

"I'm not sure. I've never felt anything like it. It feels... unnatural."

Kakashi blinked. "Unnatural? How?"

Naruto shrugged and motioned for Kakashi to come as he followed the path. Kakashi sniffed while walking, but shook his head. There was no scent, but the unnatural chakra trail led them to a small broken piece of metal. Naruto knelt beside the small half sphere and reached towards it. "Don't," Kakashi snapped. He called for some ANBU to come and bring gloves. Once Naruto had a pair on his hand, he reached down and lifted the electronic device on the ground, only to drop it after a moment's examination.