Chapter 12

"So, Declan, have you made any plans for college?" My mom asks, taking a sip of her wine.

"I haven't, but now that Elly has helped me stay on track with my homework, my grades have gone up. I think I might consider it."

"Really? That's great Declan," Elly says with surprise in her voice. I haven't told her that I have been thinking about it, mostly because she was on lockdown by Darren.

"Have you had any thoughts on where you might go?" My mom inquires further.

"I'll most likely apply to the community college Jonah is going to. It's nearby and it's supposed to have a decent science program. My physics teacher really feels like science is my area of expertise." This past week he actually wrote me a letter of recommendation if I decide to go to college. I must be good because he is notorious for turning students down when they ask for letters.

"I can agree with that, seeing as you help me with my chemistry work and you've never taken that class." Elly smiles at me and it makes my chest burn with happiness. She squeezes my hand under the table. "You're very intelligent Declan and any college would be lucky to have you."

My face heats up from her compliment. "Well, I don't even come close to your level of intelligence. Why don't you tell everyone your plans?"

"Declan, it's not a big deal..." Elly says, looking like she wants to drop the subject.

"Not a big deal?" She must be out of her mind if she thinks it isn't a big deal. "Mom, Elly has a full scholarship to Stanford's medical school program."

"Holy crap!" Tuck almost chokes on his drink. "You must be a genius."

"Congratulations Elly! That is a great achievement." I can tell my mother definitely approves of Elly now. She went to Stanford once upon a time, but she never did anything with her degree; mostly because of my father.

"What's a great achievement?" The booming voice from my nightmares asks.

My dad walks into the room wearing his fakest smile, leaving behind the scent of whiskey as he passes me. My chest constricts and an immediate need to run takes hold.

My mother smiles back at him. "Hi hunny, this is Declan's friend, Elly. We were talking about how she has a full scholarship to Stanford."

My dad takes a seat at the head of the table. "Smart..." his eyes travel over Elly. "...and beautiful. How did Declan manage to snag you?" Elly blushes, but I'm sure she doesn't like the way my dad is speaking to her; I sure don't.

"Declan is amazing, he could snag any girl," Elly says, putting force behind her words.

My dad chuckles. "He gets it from his father." He winks at her and I explode internally.

I stand. "Elly and I have to go...nice seeing you, Dad."

My dad narrows his eyes at me and I stare back, the tensions builds until my mother speaks up.

"Declan, won't you stay for a little while longer. I have ice cream and homemade apple pie for dessert?" She isn't noticeably begging because my father would get angry over that, but I can see it in her eyes.

I give in and sit back down. My mom disappears to fetch dessert, leaving us with my dad's cold stare.

"So, Elly." My dad takes out a business card and slides it down the table to her. "If you ever get lonely-"

Elly grabs the card and tears it up before my dad finishes. She stands up and calmly takes the pieces over to him; sprinkling them on his plate. Tuck stares at her with his mouth wide open and my expression is nearly the same.