Chapter 10

Chapter 10

            Darren pushes past Elly; he's still talking and hasn't noticed me in the corner. "I'm sorry, Elly. I didn't mean to hit you; I love you."

            He's tall, dirty-blonde, and is built. He could easily kick my ass, but I don't care. Rage is fueling me.

            "Get out." I step out from the shadows. "Get out of here and don't you ever try to contact Elly again!" My fists are clenched and my heart is racing; I want to destroy this scumbag.

            "Who the fuck are you? Wait," Darren smirks and turns to Elly. "Is this Declan? Is this the guy you cheated on me with? You definitely lowered your standards with this one."

            "Darren, I want you to leave. Go." Elly says forcefully, pointing outside.

            "I don't think so, Ells." Darren walks over to me. I match him in height, just not muscle.

            I look him right in the eye. "Get out before I call the cops. You must be insane coming back here. Do you think that you can hit her and she'll just forgive you?"

            Darren's eyes flare. "She made me do it! I would never hit her on purpose." Is this guy stupid?

            "Do you hear yourself, you're blaming her for your actions. You're pathetic; take responsibility for once." We are glaring at each other. Elly comes over and tries to pull Darren away.

            "Please, just go. Leave Declan alone." Darren shoves her away, causing her to fall into the coffee table and causing me to lose it.

My fist flies up and I catch him in the jaw. Darren stumbles back a little; stunned. It doesn't take him long to recover, though. He come at me full force and shoves me into the wall, my head smacks the wall so hard that I hear the wall crack behind me.

            "Stop it Darren! Stop!" Elly screams by the door.

            "Why don't you stop defending this trash, slut." Darren brings his fist down on my face, almost knocking me out. My vision is blurry, but I see Elly pull out her phone and start to call someone. Darren notices to and snatches the phone from her and throws it.

            "You don't want me to hurt your lover so you can continue fucking him on the side, is that it Elly?"  Darren has her by the arm and she's begging him to let her go and to leave.  I stumble over, trying to get to Elly. Darren just turns and slams his fist into my stomach.

I fall to the floor and Elly screams again. I can barely breathe or move and I'm unable to help Elly. Her crying is killing me; I need to help her.

Darren shakes Elly. "Look at him! He's weak! What do you see in him?" Elly finally gets her arm of out Darren's grip and runs over to me.

"He's not you! That's what I see in him, he would never put his hands on me or make me feel like I'm not good enough." Elly goes back over to Darren; challenging him. I'm afraid he'll hit her again, but I can't even get back on my feet.

Elly starts yelling again. "He'd never beat someone up for no reason, he'd never make me feel guilty about things that are out of my control, he'd never get mad at me because I'm 18 and don't have my life together. This whole relationship was bullshit Darren and I want you out of my life now!" Tears are falling down Elly's face, but she stands fierce and beautiful.

I regain my footing and stand next to her. I'm still dizzy as hell, but I'll always do my best to protect her. Darren glares at us and then heads to the door. He turns back right before he leaves.