Chapter 9

The sun was reaching the middle of the sky by the time Brendan decided to head out to the backyard. He explained to Athena that he chose to wait longer this time just to avoid May forcing him to train the fire type. Although Athena doubted that his efforts would do anything, she appreciated the act anyways. She wasn't in the mood to train, either.

Stepping off of the gritty stone patio, she shook out her feathers, looking around. The sun was beating down on her back, but she didn't mind. She loved the heat. Brendan, however, didn't.

"Gosh, it's so hot," he sighed, lifting his hat off of his head so he could fan himself. With pouting lips, he scanned the premises aimlessly. "How do you enjoy this?"

I'm a fire type, Athena mentally responded. To satisfy her trainer, however, she released a small chirp.

Without any further hesitation, Brendan began to walk toward May's backyard, the torchic following suit. As expected, May was already playing with Damien. Similar to the day prior, she was trying to get him to do various acrobatic tricks, such as cartwheels and handstands.

Ceasing to a halt beside the fellow human, Brendan watched silently, using a single hand to place his cap back onto his head. Athena paused as well, her head cocked to one angle. May was guiding Damien with her hands, trying to get him to do a cartwheel.

"Has Damien managed to do one cartwheel on his own yet?" Brendan asked, his hands shoved into his pockets.

May looked up at him and shook her head, her lips mouthing the word "no". Despite that, a proud smile was on her face as she turned her head to continue coaching the mudkip. Brendan released a soft and short laugh, his head shaking in mock disbelief.

"What about Athena?" May asked, her hands resting on her lap once she helped Damien into handstand position. Instantly, he flopped to the ground. "Has she managed to do one of those cool kicks yet?"

"Cool kicks?" Brendan repeated, his eyes falling down to the chick pokémon. She looked back up at him. "No, not really."

"Then you should probably teach her one!"

Damien lifted himself onto his hind legs, his tail fin wagging as he looked at Athena. "Come with me!" he said, before turning heel and rushing off to some random direction.

Athena looked up at the two humans, before following the mudkip. I wonder what he wants? she thought, her pace quickening just a tad. He probably just wants to play tag.

Interestingly enough, Damien rushed through the back door to May's home. Athena, however, stopped at the other side of the door, peering into the home. It looked nearly similar to Brendan's, however the living room had a wooden floor instead of a carpet. With slight hesitation, she stepped inside.

The wood was slightly slippery beneath her talons, she but managed to try and stay upright as she crept through the home. After a few short moments, Damien came sprinting into view, a flower in his mouth.

"This is for you!" he said, his voice muffled by the stem of the red lily in his mouth. Depositing it onto the toes of the torchic, he happily smiled.

Athena looked down at the flower, a little bewildered. "Where do you keep getting these flowers?" she questioned, her eyes widening just a tad.

"There's a flower patch full of these lilies near the front of town!" Damien squeaked, his excitement growing. "Wanna see them?"

Without waiting for a response, he sprinted out of the back door. Athena hurried after him, trying her best to keep up. It didn't take long for them to reach the front of Littleroot Town, however, there appeared to be no red lilies in sight. Pausing, she panted for breath, looking around expectantly.