Chapter 10

"Ready?" Brendan asked, placing one of his hands on the doorknob as he looked drown Athena. She gazed expectantly up at him, her tiny head nodding in response. "Okay, let's go."

Opening the front door, he stepped back, allowing the torchic to hop out of the house and onto the porch. Closing the door behind him, and then locking it with a metal utensil, he began to lead the way to the forest, his hands shoved in his pockets. Athena scurried after him, positioning herself beside his left leg as they began to walk past other homes in the town.

"I really wish May could come," Brendan said, waving at a fellow human in the distance with a small smile. Athena looked over at the human he was waving at, only to find them unrecognizable. "She has to research with her dad, though, which means she won't be available for a while."

The sky was apale, calming blue, with few clouds dotted across it. As a result, the people of Littleroot Town were bustling about, minding their daily activites. Skillfully, Brendan managed to avoid most of the people, although he did wave and greet a few of them. Of course, those he greeted were unrecognizable by Athena.

Placing his hand back into his pocket, Brendan stepped over the bushes that bordered Littleroot Town from the forest with ease. Pausing, he glanced back. Due to her small stature, Athena had to scramble her way under the bushes, but he eventually made it through. Once she had caught up, Brendan continued walking on.

It wasn't even past noon when Athena was already exhausted from walking. Letting out a mix between a caw and a yawn, she shook her frame slowly. Vision drifting to her left, she caught sight of Brendan, who was organizing his backpack thoroughly as he walked. Flapping her useless wings, she peered back at the path ahead of them.

My feet ache, she groaned mentally. Actually, no, my entire body aches.

It was strange, really, having the company of a human. It was especially strange considering the fact that her father had told her nasty things about them. However, here she was, under the care of one. Truthfully, she found Brendan more as a friend instead of a trainer. He hadn't even tossed her in a battle yet, and he most likely never would. He just wasn't that type of person.

With a small chirp, Athena eyed her surroundings. Compared to the bare look of Brendan's home, the forest was much nicer, and certainly more appealing. A few songs coming from the taillow above sounded through the forest. Little light was pouring from the canopy of leaves above, which allowed dark shadows to loom amongst the foliage. There weren't many pokémon nearby- there were only a few wurmples, all of which clung to the trees.

The forest is so nice, Athena thought, her feet stepping over a tiny twig. I'm so glad Brendan decided to go out here today.

After the aforementioned human had finished his organizing, he promptly zipped his backpack and strapped it on. Blinking, Athena looked up at him, releasing feeble chirps from her beak. Brendan looked down at her and smiled, stopping in his tracks and bending down so he could pat her head. The torchic happily accepted the comfort he gave.

Dad said all humans were bad, she thought, but this one isn't! He's so nice!

Straightening his posture, thus drawing away from the pokémon, Brendan wearily looked around. "We should eat something," he stated, shoving his hands in his pockets. He glanced down at the fire type. "I don't know what, though.."

Athena sighed, plopping down onto her hindquarters. Thank goodness, I really need a break!

Brendan watched her for a few moments, before sitting down himself. Casually, he took off his green backpack and placed it on his lap. Zipping open the accessory, he began to rummage through it. Athena watched as he pulled out a set of berries he had packed. Oran berries.