Chapter 19

"We're heading north for the winter," Lucas flatly spoke, causing the young fowl Pokémon to stop her consistent kicks at the tree in front of her. As he spoke, a chilly, afternoon wind wafted through the area, as if on cue.

"Wait, what?" she squeaked, jumping slightly as a berry was tossed at her direction. Picking it up with her claws, she would stare up at the Latios. "Really?"

"Yes, really," he continued, sounding rather impatient. "We leave tomorrow- today is our last day at the cave until spring. Now eat the berry." Athena slumped back, a little shocked at the sudden news. She could've sworn that since such a topic hasn't been brought up until now, the two would've stayed in the forest. Following his orders, she would place the blue oran berry into her beak, before promptly swallowing it down.

"I thought fire and dragon types don't migrate," she mumbled, fiddling with her claws as she casted a glance towards Brendan's cap. "And I thought that Pokémon usually go south, not north." The accessory was placed beside the tree, shaded by the leaves above it. It certainly appeared to be worn out, and flaked with debris such as dirt and blood. A few strings were poking out here and there, showing that it had been through quite a bit for being a mere hat.

"Typically, we don't," the dragon-and-psychic type would state, his amber irises making their way towards her. His tone sounded rough, as if he was already losing his patience. "And yes, most Pokémon do migrate south. However, you've gotten stronger. If we head north, we'll be greeted with much more stronger Pokémon, all suited to your current strength. If we head south, we'll encounter nothing but Wurmple and Taillow."

"Oh." The Latios' words brought her back to how easily she had defeated the Dustox the day before. She only needed to fire one ember to knock it to the ground- two if one were to count the ember that missed it and hit the sleeping Cascoon. After that, she simply ended it with a mere scratch. She had certainly gotten stronger, and the Pokémon around her had become much easier foes to handle.

Shuffling her feet around, she vividly recalled how Damien had wanted to leave the Dustox after she had burnt its wing up. He was some form of a pacifist, but at the same time, not really. He would attack if need be, but it seemed as if he would never kill a Pokémon. The reason why was beyond her. Perhaps it was the way his trainer taught him to be? Would Brendan want her to battle like that?

"Anyways," Lucas mused, turning his entire frame around so he could face the female, "today is your last day here. Might as well train. Don't stay out too long."

The young fowl Pokémon nodded, turning heel to scoop up Brendan's cap and to saunter away. Last night she had arrived rather late, much to the eon Pokémon's disdain, and was pushed immediately toward bed. As expected, insults of sorts were involved in such a scene. Looking back toward where the Latios floated, she noted how he had already left the premises.

She didn't have any plans to go out and train, contrary to what Lucas said. She had to visit Damien. Not only would it be an entertaining way to pass the time, but she had to tell him about the sudden migration plans. If she didn't, she would leave him, alone and confused. That just didn't sound right.

Hopping over the rocks that laid spread out across the stream, the Combusken looked around, trying to catch a glimpse of the peculiar, blue Pokémon. Unfortunately, he was yet to be found. Thus, she continued making her way through the forest, passing by a few berry bushes and trees along the way. Picking an unidentifiable yellow one off of a branch, she would place it in her beak, allowing it to roll around a bit before she swallowed it whole. It tasted rather sour.