Chapter 2

WARNING: violence

Emitting a muffled yawn, Mary opened her eyes and began to slowly look around. The conversation about the sharpedo and milotic was fading away from her mind, yet nevertheless still placed firmly in her brain. Of course, she knew she shouldn't worry- Zeke and Zachary could easily defeat them, should the water types come. Shaking her head to clear her scattered thoughts, she drowsily stepped outside, her steps weary and slow.

As usual, Zachary was training, throwing swift punches and kicks at a log that was standing upright thanks to a small stump. Blinking her eyes, Mary looked around for her father. He was nowhere to be seen.

Probably left to go get food, she tiredly guessed, twisting her head to preen her feathers. I hope he brings back cheri berries. Making sure Zachary wasn't looking, Mary began to walk toward the direction of the large forest, her feet slowly but surely picking up the pace the farther she went. I wish I could tell them about Damien.

Despite knowing the fact that she'd get scolded by her father and brother, she felt bad for not telling them about her new friend. Sure, he was a water type, but at least he was friendly. Sliding to a halt near the berry bush where she met the mudkip, Mary looked around, hoping to catch sight of the strange male.

"Hello?" she called out with a shaky voice, blinking. "Is anyone here?" Oh, if Zachary was nearby, he'd slap her for pulling such a risk.

As if he was waiting for this moment to occur, Damien abruptly hopped out of the berry bush, causing the fire type to let out a squeak. "Hiya, Mary!" he excitedly greeted with an energetic smile, stepping out of the bush. "To be honest, I thought you ditched me because I have a trainer! Trust me, May isn't horrible!"

Mary silently nodded, but in all honesty, she couldn't care less about this so-called May. She was a human, and humans were not meant to be trusted. She wasn't sure how Damien managed to live with one.

"I'm bored," Damien said, stretching out his front limbs. "Wanna play a game? I know a few games! Let's play tag!" He paused for a bit, as if he was waiting for Mary to respond. She did not respond, and instead she chose to stare blankly at him. Growing a bit impatient, he tapped her head with one of his paws. "Tag!" he squeaked, before dashing away. The torchic hesitated, unsure of what just happened.

What even is tag? she silently questioned. The mudkip was long gone by now- should she be chasing him? I guess so.

With a little hop, she sped off toward where she assumed the water type went, dashing into unfamiliar territory as she did so. A feeling of dread latched onto her as her vision flickered left to right. The setting was growing eerie, and the usual, glowing sunshine of the forest she was used to was covered by the canopy above. The only sound she heard was the drumming of her feet against the dirt.

Slowing to a stop after a rather short sprint, she glanced around at the possible areas where the mudkip possibly headed to. Deciding to bounce toward her left, she carried herself over to a small log, which happened to be tall enough to fit perhaps two pokémon. Peering inside, she attempted to make out any shapes inside the log.

He's not in there.

Growing more desperate to find him, she brought her head away from the log. Shaking her head with a heavy sigh, Mary continued to search for the mudkip, dashing toward the path ahead of her. It didn't take too long to find him. He was sitting by himself, a bored expression plastered on his features. As he caught sight of the torchic, he perked up, a smile laced on his lips.

"Took you long enough!" he called, bouncing toward her. As he abruptly halted in front of her, he cracked a joyful grin.

"What do I do now..?" Mary asked, looking up at the male with short breaths. Damien began to hop up and down, and he released a light giggle as he did so.