Part 32- As Time Passed

I could never face her again, not after what I just did.
✴✴✴

Alex's POV
Two and a half years later

"Come on, Al! Being cooped up in this apartment studying all the time is bad for your well-being. Let's go out, let's party!" Lila, my party-animal best friend exclaimed.

Lila was a foxy girl with red, layered, shoulder length hair. I met her on my first day in college. She sure stood out with her bright red locks. I thought they were beautiful.

We've been best friends, and study partners, ever since.

"And have me third wheel you and Johnny the entire evening? No thanks, I'd much rather study." I replied, looking back at my books.

"I must admit, Al. You've matured. I remember how timid you were to everyone during the first six months of college. You didn't even want to do your presentation on foreign investment because you were so nervous." She replied, giving a fake sigh.

"It was a lecture room of eighty students, that's a lot." I protested.

"You were also extremely playful and cheery when you got comfortable around people. Now you're just all work and no play." She replied, I couldn't actually detect her tone this time. I suppose she sounded serious.

I glared at her. She was right. I remember how I was, I took college lightly and got my first F, that opened my eyes. I've been top of my class ever since.

I have to be a success.

"In a few months we'll be working twenty-three year olds, no more studying past midnight and no more classes. That's when I'll let my hair down a bit." I replied.

"A bit? Nevermind." She sighed and turned on the television.

"Multimillionare, Christopher Kenway, has been spotted with his latest conquest. In this amateur footage we see her reaching to touch his hand, only to have him abruptly pull it away..." Vivica Wolfe, celebrity correspondent went on.

Lila looked at me worryingly, my eyes remaining fixated on the screen.

"...remember that girl we saw him with two and a half years ago? Here we see them laughing and having fun at a funfare. How could she leave him? It looks like he hasn't smiled ever sin--"

I turned off the television.

"Come on, Al. You know what EMZ is like. They're always aching for a story." She replied when she saw my bleak expression.

I wish I could speak. I hated seeing Christopher. He's everywhere. Donating to this charity, taking some random female out, watching him receive an award for the most successful male under thirty. The list is endless.

Guess he's coping well without me.

"Al, I'm going out now. Are you okay?" Lila asked with concern in her voice.

"Um, yeah. Johnny is probably getting impatient. Have fun." I replied with a small smile.

"Okay, call me if you need anything." She said and with one peck on the cheek, she left.

I was left alone in the new apartment I shared with Lila. It was great cause we split the rent, that way, I wouldn't owe Mr Topher that much money.

Mr Topher checks on me often, he's incredibly proud of my accolades. He has even offered me a job...at Compu tech. He said I could be in charge of a different branch, but I did not want to risk running into Christopher.