xvii. preparation

"Which dress looks better? No, scratch that. Which color looks best? Champagne or the blush?" I hold up the dress options for Ethan as I examine the other shimmering dresses around me. I don't recall ever having difficulty trying to find the 'perfect' dress.

Since Ethan's grandmother's birthday was in four days, I had to make sure that I dressed nice and formal. She has never met me, nor does she know that I am Black American. Ethan says that she doesn't know one thing about me, only that he has a girlfriend. For some reason, I feel he knows something that I don't, and when I question him about it, he dodges the question. It's starting to irritate me.

"You know every dress in this store would look perfect on you to me," he says, switching hands to hold the many bags that we had. Let's just say Ethan loves to shop just as much as I do.

"Are you trying to make me turn the same color as this dress?" A smirk is planted on my face as I turn to look at him. He shrugs as if he's really clueless.

"I don't know, you tell me."

We both share a smirk as I grab the dress off the rack and make sure that it's in my size before taking it up to the front desk. The lady sees that I have five dresses that I'm willing to pay for and she smiles.

"Hi, how are you?" she starts to ring them up.

"I'm well, you?"

"I'm doing all right." She types something before giving me eye contact. "Your total is $301.67," she grins, tapping her fingers against the counter. Ethan pulls out an envelope full of cash, handing over three hundred dollars in cash.

Our next stop was to Finish Line, because Ethan had ordered a pair of shoes offline that they didn't sell in the store and he'd pick them up there. I didn't know why he bought so many shoes at a time. He has enough already.

"Here you go, sir," the black boy at the counter hands Ethan his shoes, winking at me just as Ethan is about to thank him. It stops him. Oh shit, is all I can possibly think while my stomach drops.

Instead of going off like he would've, he dismissed it quickly before saying a quick "Thank you," and grabs my ass. A little uncalled for, yes, but did I stop it? No. I smirk at him, but his eyes are staring straight ahead, ears all red from this unnecessary anger.

"Ethan, he was just being nice," I sing in his ear, stopping at a bench so he could try his shoes on. He ignores me, humming a response, before trying on his shoes. I notice them as Adidas NMD's, the white ones. I gasp. This finally catches Ethan's attention.

"Those shoes look good on you!" I try to lighten the mood; however it only slightly helps. He nods, walking around in them before taking them off gently and putting them back in the box.

E gets up without a word. I follow him, but his pace is more of a jog than a walk. This is now starting to really pissed me the hell off, because today was supposed to be a great day and he's ruining it, all because some bum ass nigga winked at me.

"Ethan," I grab his shoulder tightly. He stops, looking at me with this weird expression. More than likely sarcasm. "Today is supposed to be a good day. Don't you dare ruin this for the both of us."

It's all I have to say before I turn the opposite way to head back to the car.

———

"Nervous?"

"A little bit."

"I'll defend you if she says anything."