viii. brotherly advice

ETHAN'S POV

"She said yes!" I scream as I enter into my house, running up the stairs and jumping into a front flip into Grayson's room. He glances at me like I was crazy. I probably did from all the jumping around and my heart racing like crazy.

"Wait, what?" Grayson pauses the PS4. "Who said yes and when?"

"AJ!" I yell with excitement.

"Ethan...?" Grayson starts to panic, and I back up. It's a little funny to see your twin think you're gay.

"It's April's nickname I gave her. Her name is April Johnson...AJ...," I let that sink into his head. He then laughs at how dramatic he was being at first.

"Woah buddy, I was about to say," he stands up and pats my back. "Congrats man. She's super pretty, I'm kind of jealous of you."

"Jealous of me? Gray, you have no reason to be jealous. I'm sure there's a girl that will catch your eye and you'll catch hers," I move to his bed, sitting down and running a hand over my face.

My mind keeps recapping all the memories I've had so far with April. She's intimidating, that's no doubt, but at the same time she's sweet and fun, maybe a little adventurous. I've never really been anywhere with her besides the movies, her house, and the coffee shop.

"Dude, too corny right now," my twin says before walking out if his room and going into mine. "Hey do you have an extra shirt I could borrow? I messed up my old work out tee and I need one of yours."

"Bro. You don't have to ask. It's your house, too."

"I know, but it's a habit since Mrs. Frazier makes me ask all the time. 'Where is your manners, young man?' " he mocks her old and wavering voice. I laugh some at that.

"Sorry, man."

"It's Gucci. Anyways, while I'm thinking about it, ask Mom and Dad if AJ can come over for Easter Dinner. I'm sure you've told Mom about her, right? And Cam?"

I freeze for a second. No, I haven't even mentioned I was seeing someone, let alone where I was in the mornings. Gray notices the long pause and wiggles his eyebrows.

"You better tell them. Easter is what, three weeks away? Yeah, you definitely need to tell them. Go tell Mom now so that you won't have to tell Dad!" he pushes me out the doorway, so I run down the stairs two at a time.

"Ethan, slow down, you'll hurt yourself," Mom says sternly while she fixes lunch in the kitchen.

"Sorry, Mom. But I have something I want to talk to you about. I want to make sure you understand where I'm coming from," I take a seat down on the stool while she washed her hands.

"Are you trying to become gay?" she asks cautiously but bluntly, causing my face to flush pale. Why does everyone keep saying that?

"No!" my voice raises but lowers once I see the stern look on her face. "No. But there is this one girl that I really like and we met a week ago, actually two today, and she makes me so happy. Like I just want to make sure you're okay with me dating her."

"Well, you haven't even given me a description of her." I swallow.

"She has this pretty, long, black hair and these cute brown eyes. She has a dimple in her left cheek, likes animals, and is so, so, beautiful," I explain without actually saying other stuff. Other important stuff.

"She sounds lovely," Mom says before wiping down the counter. "Is she black?" How did I know this question was coming? Why was I so scared to tell her?

"Yes."

"I'm okay with it," Mom says. "If you like her this much, invite her to our Easter dinner with us."

"That's what I was going to ask next."

"You got my answer."

"Thank you so much," I tell her before escaping to Gray's room, but remember that he's in the gym room. I head my way down there.

"I'm guessing she said yes and approves of you dating AJ?" Grayson says nearly out if breath.

"Yeah." It's silent for a moment except for his constant breathing and all. But I couldn't contain my excitement.

"Yeah!" I scream, startling Grayson as he falls on his hand. "Yes! I'm the luckiest guy in the whole entire world!" I yell with so much happiness that even Grayson starts to cheer and jump with me.

"Dude this is amazing! You should call her and tell her!" he says, calming down a bit but the same light still in his eyes. I start to dial up my new girlfriend, a smile popping on my face at just the thought of her.

After three impatient rings, my girl finally answers, which makes my stomach do all these cheesy butterflies flutter and my smile so hard that my cheeks burned.

"Hey, babe." I swear, her voice is the best sound in the entire world.

"Hey, cutie. I have some great news."

"Well let me hear it!" she says excitedly.

"Since Easter is three or so weeks away, my family is having a dinner, and I talked to my mom. She said you were welcome to come. By the way, I really want you to," I explain.

"Your parents are okay with you interracial dating?" I freeze because I actually haven't discussed this with any one but Grayson for that issue, so in reality, I'm not sure how my parents will react.

"Um...I kinda left that part out because I didn't want to spoil anything," I scratch the back of my head awkwardly, hearing nothing but silence on the other end of the line. Did she hang up?

"I don't know how this is going to work, Ethan. You know how some people are about us, and I definitely don't want your family to be added to that list."

"Don't worry, AJ," I assure her. "They'll love you once they see how beautiful and sweet you are."

"You sure do know how to make me feel better," I hear her smile through the phone, my heart doing a small leap.

"That's my job, babe. Want to hang out tomorrow?"

"I'm down with that."

"Great." I pause a bit, Grayson eyeing me expectantly as I play with the words in my head. "I love you."

Grayson falls backwards onto the floor as he pumps his fist. I've finally said the magic words. Yes, it was hard at first, but now I get to say this everyday.

"I love you more," she says, my whole mood flipping upside down.

"No, that's not possible; I love YOU more."

"Whatever Ethan. Bye."

"Bye."

"That huge smile on your face looks really good on you," Grayson wraps an arm around my shoulders, pulling me in close. I thought it looked good on me, too.

-Sorry this took so mf long to write I was busy with cross country and track meets and school and ugh FML
-um.. I'm not here to offend anyone in any way BTW. If you do not support interracial dating, please do me the honor of LEAVING because anything negative you say will not be tolerated. Thank you.
-m.xo