Prologue

Copyright © 2014 Revy R

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval systems, without written permission from the publisher or author, except in the case of a reviewer, who may quote brief passages. Any infringement is punishable by law.

In the darkest of night a run down old barn housed a woman in sheer pain, her body screaming as her lungs pushed out sounds so blood curdling it was sure to attract unwanted attention. With every scream she feared the unborn child she was about to give birth to, would never see the world.
With the forest in ebony a lone stranger padded silently threw its under brush, he'd heard the terror of screams and was drawn to it like a moth to flame. Now that he was within ear shot, the stranger froze. His brain telling him that this was foolish beyond compare, while his heart said that he was in the right place. To which came another painful cry from a woman he knew nothing about, a decision he'd have to make- soon.
Pushing the half torn door away from the barn he stared as a beauty with golden hair lay on the cold hard ground, blood sliding down ivory legs as she gripped the earth for some salvation. A whimper of a cry was all he picked up, as the woman looked to him with a final plea.

"Please.....my baby"

Within minutes for the screaming howls of the creatures to start, realization hit the man fast. Carefully he lifted the infant girl into his arms, a fleeting look to the woman who had already passed. His feet dashed from the barn, a minute no sooner its hinges were blown off as the beasts ravaged the poor woman's body. A sigh slipped his lips as dark eyes lowered to the child, she was fair like most human children he'd seen-however she was also very different.

Setting her down on furs, she whimpered a few times before resting silently. A heavy hands rubbed his tired face, what he'd do with an infant he knew not. For such a small child she was already starting to open her eyes, knowing little of a child the man did know that this was something not common-for humans. Pegging her as a fighter the man smiled, a gift would be best for her. Two cold fingers pressed against her forehead, she wiggled to re-leave herself of his touch but fussed but only a second. Incantation from his people whispered out while bright red words floated around her body, like snakes coiling  prey they spun themselves to her flesh embedding. Deep red slashes twisted in a tattoo formation all over, these markings would be her power- her life. They'd grow with her with the passing of time.

Sighing the man sat down stoking the fire as the child fell to sleep, she was in need of a name to which he could give. But at the moment nothing was striking his fancy. Flames from the fire licked that the dried wood, the very bottom glowed with the passion of two lovers. When a single spark spit from its confines the man smirked, his hand passed over the little glowing being floating it into the air. With that he tossed it back to which it came turning to the child.

"Ye shall be called....Ember"