New Ways

"Aw come on, don't cry. There's plenty of fish in the sea, Mr. Watanabe." Reigen commented, clasping his hands together as he sat on his office chair.

"I can't believe she would do that to me. I-I thought we had something special going on!" The old man cried.

"Uhm... Didn't you say you were a... A sugar daddy?" Reigen hesitantly asked.

"Yes. But I really thought it was true love! Besides, can't we turn on the lights now that she's gone?" The man replied.

"Ah, no. Leave them off. We have enough light coming from the candles. This is the light that ghosts tend to enjoy. Anyways, you should just do what she said." Reigen reassured, despite having the room too dark to see anything in particular.

"What, move on? I-I don't think I can! Do you have any idea how much money I've spent on her stuff? All of that work is just thrown away!" The man wailed.

"Well, there is a saying that money cannot buy love. You'll find another person soon enough, I'm sure of it. Hopefully, someone around your age." Reigen informed him, muttering the last sentence to himself.

"You really think so? You think I can find another Hana?" The man finally stops crying, wiping his snot with his bare hands, much to Reigen's disgust.

"Look, I'm a psychic, not a love guru. I can assure you will find another Hana.... An older Hana, perhaps." Reigen emphasized the word older because he felt the man needed to see how much older women over 40 like him can be appreciated as someone who can be taken as a lover. 

"Okay. I'll try. Thank you for your words of encouragement." The man quickly bowed as he took out his wallet to pay Reigen.

"Pleasure doing business with you, sir." Reigen nodded as he swiped the money from the man's hand in a swift movement.

"Goodbye now." 

"Yeah. Leave the lights off on your way out. Stop by again if you're feeling different." Reigen smiled as he bids his client farewell.

As the man opens the door to the exit, Mob suddenly appeared to visit Reigen.

"Hey Mob! How was your day today?" Reigen casually greets his young student entering his office.

"Teacher, why is it so cold in here?" Mob asked as he rubs his arms.

"I recently had a client over here to talk to his late girlfriend." Reigen responded, counting his money as usual. 

"Could I turn on the lights?" Mob asked.

"Sure." Reigen slowly nods.

As soon as Mob flips the switch, he approached the two candles to put them out.

"Ah! You left your fridge opened again. That's why it's so cold in here." Mob smiled as he walks over to Reigen's small fridge to close it. 

"Ahh.... Yeah." Reigen lazily replied, concentrating on counting.

"Oh, teacher. Why is your karaoke mic here? We're you singing?" Mob picked up the mic that Reigen used to "communicate" with the dead.

"Must we go over this again? For the last time, it's not a karaoke mic, Mob." Reigen explained, shaking his head.

Mob picks up the mic that has a small words "Karaoke Revolution Party" inscribed on it. 

"Ah, what's this Walkman for, teacher?" Mob smiled as he plugged Reigen's earphones to listen to the music.

"Mob, it's a device used to record the communication with ghosts, it's not some music player." Reigen sighed as he stores his money in his small safe. 

"What brings you here? You looking for extra hours?" Reigen asked.

"Oh, I came here to ask you a question. It's got something to do with my friend." Mob spoke.

Reigen opens the blinds to show the orange sky. He glanced at the window for a moment before he sits comfortably on his seat.

"Sure, what seems to be the problem with your friend?" Reigen stretched his jaw, cracking his fingers due to his long day of "hard work".

"Well, she seems to be unhappy about her mother yelling at her the other day. She says that she feels she's not doing enough to accomplish anything." Mob explained.

"Seems normal for a mother-daughter relationship." Reigen commented, stroking his chin as if he was concentrating hard on the case.

"How do you make a girl feel like she's everything to you?" Mob curiously asked.

"Hm?" Reigen tilted his head in confusion.

"How do I put it? Hm..." Mob sets his bag down and sits on the cold metal chair across from Reigen.

"How do you make a girl feel special? How do you make her feel like all her hard work is worth something?" Mob restated in a different way.

"Well, it depends. Why don't you take her on a date?" Reigen suggested.

"What?"

"Y'know, take her on a date. A friendly date. Girls like it when you ask a lot of personal questions like 'what's your favorite color?' or 'where would you like to travel one day?'. All you have to do, is ask them various questions and listen to them talk. They like it when men listen well. It makes them feel special for some reason." Reigen lightly explained.

"Oh. So like.... Do I ask her what toothpaste brand she uses or...?" Once again, Mob half-understood Reigen's words of wisdom yet he usually loses the other half.

"No, no, not really. Here, why don't I write you a list of questions. Take it with you. This will help boost her confidence." Reigen took out a notepad and wrote a moderate amount of questions. He hands the list to Mob as the young boy skimmed through them.

"Oh, this will be very helpful for my friend. You're so smart, teacher." Mob complimented as he gently folds the paper and tucks it in his pocket. 

"No problem, kid."