F O R T Y - F I V E

***Dedicated to @rxalxstmzntion ! Thanks for being an awesome reader (:

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Um, is there another half to this?"

"It has to be here somewhere. I could've swore I just saw it."

"Oh, good. For a second there I thought you were really going to make me actually wear this."

"Oh heavens no! Not now at least. Maybe once it's complete....if I ever do find this darn other half."

Jade huffed as she rummaged through the growing pile of clothes on the ground. It was Saturday afternoon and we were in the den of her & Brandon's house, now doing some last minute searching for gowns to wear to the banquet tonight.

I watched as she pulled out a single sheet of red satin fabric, giving it a confused look before shrugging and tossing it aside. Initially, I had planned to just fish through my closet for a dress to wear tonight. However, meeting up with Jade at the soccer game this morning, I learned that this was going to be a much more formal event than I was prepared for and Jade seemed very eager to show me a couple of new designs she had been working on, which I couldn't refuse.

An entire soccer game and a couple of hours later, we found ourselves surrounded by mountains of beautiful fabric, yet not one complete dress. Hence, the unfinished blue gown in my hand.

"It's a nice color." I suggested, looking down at the blue material, soft between my fingers.

"I'll  keep you in mind when I get to completing it." Jade told me, eying the fabric before returning to her quest of searching for an actual whole gown. "Now if I could only find at least one completed gown! Come on, I know I did a ton of work this week. Why does it look like I've done absolutely nothing?" She ran her hands through her short blonde hair in frustration.

"It's alright. I feel the same way when I do homework. I think I've typed up like five pages when in reality, all I've written are five words." I laughed.

Jade joined in my laughter as she picked up a dress made of about seven different type of fabrics, giving it a disgusted look. "I don't know what on earth I was thinking when I made this." She picked at the buttons along the sleeves. "Anyway! Hopefully you don't have too much homework to worry about this weekend. I bet Daniel didn't even assign that much to his own classes since he's got this banquet to go to as well. If I remember correctly, he teaches high school actually." She looked up at me.

"Yes!" I looked up at her & answered almost too eagerly, earning an eyebrow raise from the woman there helping me - his sister-in-law. I quickly bit my lip to keep myself from sounding more eager than I was already. "I- I mean, yeah. He does. " I cleared my throat as Jade chuckled.

"Mhmmm. That's what I thought." She smirked at me before returning her attention back to the gowns. "You know, how funny would it have been if he actually taught at the same high school you went to?" She laughed while I froze in my place upon hearing her words.

"Uh, yeah." I chuckled, playing with my ponytail. "That would be pretty crazy." I replied awkwardly as I turned back to the gown in my hands, hoping the subject would change for I wasn't sure how much Jade knew or was supposed to know yet.

"Ooooh!! Check it out, girl!" Jade exclaimed, bringing me out of my anxious thoughts & I was grateful the topic had been dropped. I turned to see her lifting a royal blue gown from the pile of fabrics. "Look what I found! And," She walked over to me, giving me a closer look of the gown. "it actually appears to be complete too." She laughed as she hung up the dress on a hanger and held it out for me to see.