F O R T Y

***Dedicated to girl_almighty4 for being an awesome reader & having an awesome username (:

The bright sunlight streamed in through the windows and the heavenly aroma of pancakes filled Daniel's cozy apartment as I walked in.

I adjusted the grocery bag on my arm and quietly closed the door behind me before heading to the kitchen where the soft noise of pans sizzling & utensils working could be heard. 

Daniel stood at the stove, his back facing me. He hadn't noticed my presence yet so I took this time to simply admire the heartwarming sight in front of me. His dark blond hair was disheveled on top of his head, his dark, thick eyebrows furrowed and his lips pursed as he concentrated on flipping the pancakes. His thick stubble accentuated his jawline perfectly and he hummed happily to himself after successfully flipping the pancakes. I was completely in awe by this incredible man and the wonderful skills he possessed that I wasn't even aware of.

I finally snapped out of my trance and placed the grocery bag down on the counter. 

Daniel turned around at the commotion. "You're back!" He looked up at me with a smile.

"With everything on the list!" I unpacked the grocery bag.

"Perfect. Thank you, love." He turned back to the stove, placing the pancakes on a plate. "It's almost ready."

After unpacking all the groceries, mostly breakfast toppings, I made my way over to Daniel, and placed a kiss in between his shoulder blades.

He chuckled softly, turning around and tilting my chin up before he leaning down to press his lips to mine. "You're going to cause some serious trouble if you stay here longer, darling," he murmured.

I pulled away, looking at him with a smile. "Why?"

"I'm afraid these pancakes will end up burnt if you keep interrupting me." He turned his attention back to the stove and poured more batter into the pan.

"I'm interrupting you?" I asked playfully as I lifted myself to sit on the counter next to him.

He nodded, keeping his eyes fixed on the pancakes cooking.

"Or you're just easily distracted?" I countered, raising an eyebrow.

"I'd like to think I'm quite focused." He nodded firmly, not taking his attention off of the pan. "You know, I actually did most of the cooking back home when we were growing up."

I sat up, suddenly curious eager to learn more about his childhood. "Really?"

He nodded. "Our parents were always out working so we'd hardly get to see them really. And when I did see my mom, it never really went well, to tell you the truth. The kitchen seemed to be the only place we'd get along. She would teach me some family recipes that have been passed on."

I felt a tug on my heart at his words. We never really talked about families before and now I was beginning to understand why. "So, does that mean you cooked food for Brandon too?" I asked with a smile, hoping to brighten the mood.

"I did actually, yeah." He nodded his head with a laugh. "I'd like to say it was quite good food. But if you ask him, I'm not sure he'll tell you the same thing."

I laughed with him. "These pancakes smell good," I pointed out, eyeing the growing stack of pancakes as he served more on the plate. "And everything else you bring for the soccer game bake sales seems to be amazing."

"Those I learned how to make on my own."

"So, that's why you're such a good teacher." I smiled at him.