F I F T Y - N I N E

~ Daniel's POV ~

"Doesn't it feel like you're flying, bro?" Brandon asked as we walked into his office building. 

"It actually does. I'm impressed."

"Next time, you're driving it with the top down and you're taking your wife with you." 

I stopped, looking at him. "Bran."

"Fiancée?" He raised an eyebrow at me with a knowing look. 

I sighed. "Bran . . ."

He let out a laugh, grabbing my shoulder playfully as we resumed walking down the hall, toward his office. "Not yet though, right? Not yet!!"

I shook my head, chuckling. 

"Come on, you know I'm not wrong though!" Brandon exclaimed, letting go of my shoulder before giving me a cheeky smile. "You'll be calling her that in no time. I'm just getting ready. Practicing." 

"Practicing," I repeated, raising an eyebrow at him. 

He nodded with a proud grin. "Mhm."

"How to say wife?" 

"Can never get too good at saying it! Believe me, once you're there, bro, you'll never want to stop saying it." 

I nodded slowly, taking in his words. 

"Which is why . . ." He tossed an arm over my shoulder. "You're taking her for a ride again! No ands, buts, or ifs about it!" 

"It's 'ifs, ands, or buts about it'," I corrected him with a laugh as we walked into his office.

"Eh, English!" He waved his hand with a scoff. "You're taking her. She deserves it." He pointed a finger at me. 

"Yes, sir." 

His eyebrows lowered as he went around his desk. "Don't call me that. Makes me feel old."

I sat in the seat in front of his desk. "You're far from it."

He plopped himself in his chair, spinning around. "Tell that to my neck. Sleep wrong one night and can't even put Bennie on my shoulders now without it buggin' me. Oh no." He stopped spinning, widening his bright eyes at me. "I'm not too old to not hold my kids anymore, am I, Dan?! We wanted to have at least two more!"

I shook my head at him in reassurance. "Just take it easy." 

"Of course!" He adjusted his cap with the Blue Jackets logo patched on the front then turned to his computer. "Now, first order of business!" He clasped his hands together just as the phone rang. "Ooooh!" He jumped in his seat, eyeing the phone excitedly. "A late phone call! A rare occasion!" He grinned eagerly at me. 

I gave him an unsure look. "Bran . . ." I warned.

His smile only grew. "I've always wanted to do this!" He brought the phone to his ear. "Blue Jacket Soccer Leagues. The best in town with you around! How can we make your day?" he answered cheerfully. 

"Did he just . . . make that up?" 

I looked up to see Jackson, Brandon's manager and best friend, walk in, confusion written all over his face as he looked at Brandon. 

"Won't be surprised if he did." I let out a chuckle. 

"Huh." He made an impressed face. His navy blue polo shirt matched Brandon's, both embroidered with a small Blue Jackets logo at the top left.

Brandon gave us a very not-so-subtle wink before returning his focus to the phone call.

"Gotta write that one down." Jackson pulled up a chair next to me then turned to me and clasped my hand. "Dan the man! When's the last time you were here?"