N I N E T E E N

Dedicated to luckypeach13 ! Thank you for all of your comments ! They're the best (:

********************************

There, behind the table filled with pastries, looking as handsome as ever in a hoodie was none other than Mr. Hayden. 

This could not be happening right now. 

This was so not supposed to happen right now.

I wasn't ready for this . . . to see him. My hair was a mess. I just threw on whatever hoodie I could find after barely getting any sleep last night, if any. Maybe I was still sleeping . . . and this was all a dream . . . or was it a nightmare?

"Got the blossom cookies?" Katie voice snapped me out of my thoughts. 

Nope, this was definitely happening. 

My mind reeled as I watched my sister approach my . . . my teacher but also almost-boyfriend . . . ? Kind of lover . . . ? 

"We sure do, Katie!" he replied, matching her cheerful tone with a smile. "Your favorite, peanut butter blossom as always," 

"Yay!!" She clapped excitedly.

I needed to go. I needed to leave before he saw me here. He probably already saw me. But I needed to leave before he saw me even more. He couldn't see me here. Not now. Not like this.

A high-pitch squeal broke me out of my spiraling thoughts as I was suddenly engulfed in a tight hug. "Aaah! I can't believe you're actually going to see one of my games!!"

I let out a soft laugh, bringing my arms around her, suddenly very aware of Mr. Hayden's stare on us.

"This is going to be so much fun!" Katie rambled on, oblivious to our surroundings. "We are totally going to win," she promised with wide eyes as we pulled away.

"Can't wait!" I replied, giving her the best smile I could muster up in the moment. 

"This is going to be the best game ever!! Ah!! I'm just so excited you're here!!" she cried, pulling me into another hug. 

She soon ran off to the field, joining her teammates in matching navy blue jerseys, while I took the opportunity to slip away before--

"I hadn't realized how seriously you took actual football as well," a deep familiar voice spoke up, stopping me in my tracks. 

I couldn't help the small smile making its way onto my face and slowly turned around. 

Despite the small smile on his face, it wasn't hard to miss the tired look in his warm brown eyes and the dark bags hanging under them. His facial hair appeared darker as if he hadn't shaven recently, and his dark blond hair, which was usually neatly combed, was now disheveled. Yet it perfectly complemented his casual jeans and cozy hoodie. It was different to see him in such laid back attire compared to his typical formalwear at school. Nevertheless, he looked just as handsome. Perhaps even more with the way his--What was I saying about avoiding him again?

The high pitch tweet of the whistle sounded through the air, bringing me back to reality.

"Sorry," I apologized. "I didn't know you were going to be here, otherwise I wouldn't have--" 

He shook his head. "You don't have to apologize for being here. It's a game." He nodded toward the field. "You have notes to take." 

I let out a small laugh, shaking my head. "Yeah but . . . aren't you upset?" I asked him, slowly making my way over to the table of pastries he stood behind.