chapter 1

— ✿ —

"Kyungmin!"

I shut the laptop and lifted my head to find Nari, peeping over my office cubicle with an excited smile on her lips.

"Yes?" I looked at her expectantly, curving my lips upward.

"You're coming with us, right?" Nari tilted her head as she waited for my answer, and I narrowed my eyes slightly, trying to recall whatever plans there were for today.

"I can't," I replied in a slightly disappointed tone before standing up and stretching my muscles. I'd been sitting for five hours straight, busy with work, that I didn't even notice that it was already almost six in the evening. "What's up anyway?"

All I remember was that there was going to be some sort of gathering, but I didn't exactly know what it was for.

"You don't know?" she asked, surprised. "The new boss is going to treat the finance department."

"Really? Well, that's great," I told her as I continued to pack my belongings and piled up the files on my desk. "At least he seems more approachable than the old boss."

"You bet! Too bad you weren't here yesterday. He personally dropped by to greet and know us all under his department. He's really nice. Not to mention..." Nari moved closer and whispered, "He's really good looking."

From where I stood, I could tell that she was squealing internally. I giggled at her reaction and shook my head a little.

"There's a little emergency with Aeri so I had to go home. Good thing it wasn't anything major."

"Oh! Little Aeri!" gushed Nari. "It's been a while since I last saw her."

"She can roll on her tummy now," I informed her proudly.

"It's tough being a mom, huh? You're really a nice person Kyungmin-ssi. Little Aeri is lucky to have you."

"It's not easy, but I guess it's worth it." I smiled to myself. "And thank you."

After a few more chit-chats, Nari told me she was going to get ready for the gathering and went back to her cubicle. It didn't take me long until I left the office.

I checked my phone as I got out of the elevator and saw a message notification from Somi-ajumma, Aeri's babysitter, saying that Aeri was already fast asleep. A smile formed on my face at the image of Aeri's small figure, tucked in bed. I wonder if she were having those moments when she kept on smiling and giggling in her sleep.