X. Riverside

Riverside

"Oww!" Zayn placed his hands on his cheek. It was burning red since Lacey was a pro-slapper. As soon as she hit him, her eyes snapped open and she got out of bed.

"Why the hell did you do that?" his hands rubbed the red mark on his face.

"You touched me." Lacey was now in the restroom, putting her hair in a bun.

"So?!"

"I don't like being touched by people. I get uncomfortable." she opened one of the boxes and took out some clothes.

"I was just shaking you lightly, trying to wake you up!"

"I was already awake." Lacey went into the restroom to get ready. She, of course, locked the door behind her.

"But—but your eyes were closed—"

"Doesn't mean I was sleeping." she cut him off.

"So you didn't sleep the whole night?" Zayn's cheek was much better now. It still had a red mark on it, but the stinging feeling had left.

"Yep." Zayn could hear the water turning on. He could imagine her taking her clothes off. Her naked body stepping into the warm water.

"Will you please leave? I know what you're thinking." her voice sprouted from the other room. Zayn let out a small snigger. He then left the bedroom and went downstairs to his mum.

"Zayn, I'm going to have to leave at three. I have a doctor's appointment." Zayn's mother took a sip of her water.

"Okay, no problem." he nodded his head and sat down across from her.

"So," she paused, "how was your night?"

"Erm, good I guess?" he replied.

"Did she have trouble sleeping and getting used to everything?"

"Mum, she has only been here for half a day. I have no idea what she feels like."

Lacey felt like a wet noodle. She almost fell asleep in the bathtub since her lack of sleep. It was usually like this, she would stay up all night and then sleep all day. She had acute insomnia, which was a diagnosis where she couldn't sleep at night for at least three days. However, it could go up to three weeks without sleeping. The most she'd stayed awake was two weeks. And today she was knackered and had absolutely no energy.

"Down by the river by the boats

Where everybody goes to be alone

Where you won't see any rising sun

Down to the river we will run"

She never really liked taking baths, especially not in the morning, but it felt like the right time to have one.

"When by the water we drink to the dregs

Look at the stones on the river bed

I can tell from your eyes

You've never been by the riverside"

The water was so warm, so soothing.

"Down by the water the riverbed

Somebody calls you somebody says

Swim with the current and float away

Down by the river everyday"

The smell of lavender filled her nostrils.

"Oh my God I see how everything is torn in the river deep