XIV. Birds

Birds

Four days passed since the proposal. Lacey hadn't left the guest bedroom. She would stay in bed all day and listen to the sounds of the house. Sometimes Guayana would force her way in her room to give her food but Lacey hid under the covers because she didn't want to see anyone. Guayana had brought her her phone so at least she was helpful.

Zayn was rarely at home. Lacey would listen as he left home early in the morning and come back almost after midnight. She wondered if he thought about her while he was gone, and he did. He couldn't stop thinking about her. He hadn't seen her ever since that day and he missed her. He missed her obnoxious attitude and jokes. She really had him hooked.

He would go to Lou's house almost every day. He only told Louis about what happened. Zayn was glad that he had someone to rely on when things were bad.

"I think you did the right thing mate." Louis told him. "You might as well have said it now than never. Think about this," he paused, "Right now, you're the only person in her head. She's not thinking of anything else. Her mind will be so infiltrated with you that she will start feeling something towards you. It might be love, it might be even more hate, but she'll do something 'bout it. Your action will cause a reaction." Louis waited a second before he spoke again. "Wow that last sentence was a good one, better write that down for a song."

Zayn laughed, "Yeah, it really was. Thanks man," he stated.

"Always here for you buddy," Louis replied.

The rest of his friends would come too. They would jam out in Louis' garage where they had all their instruments and equipment. I'm Zayn's mind, their band was sick. They had incredible songs in all kinds of genres. He made a mental note to bring Lacey to one of their rehearsals when everything was settled. She's had to meet the gang sometime, they were practically his family.

There was Harry, the lead singer; Louis on the keyboard; Niall on the guitar; Liam on bass; and him on the drums. Together they made one hell of a band. He was glad they were all doing what they loved. Music was Zayn's escape. Whenever he felt troubled he would play the drums or write some lyrics.

After being together with his friends he would return home and see what Lacey had been up to. She hadn't come out of her room in four days and Zayn was worried. Did his proposal shock her that much?

He went by her door and knocked. There wasn't an answer. He turned the door handle and to his surprise it was open. Zayn went into the room to find Lacey sleeping on the bed. He thought it was about time she returned to their room. He carried her in his arms and laid her in their bed. She's going to be so confused when she wakes up, he thought. Zayn changed and went to bed next to her. He was excited to feel her presence again. It was like Christmas never happened, until morning came, that is.

x•x•x

Lacey was woken up by the sunlight peaking through the curtains. She could hear birds chirping, and to her that was a clear sign that she should go back to sleep. She turned around, away from the sunlight when she was met by an arm covered in tattoos. Lacey looked up to find Zayn sitting next to her, reading.

"'Bout time you woke up," he switched his gaze onto hers.

Lacey was surprised that Zayn wasn't ignoring her. She said no in such an unprofessional way. Also, what was he doing sleeping next to her?

"What time is it?" Lacey asked him.

"It's about 7:00 in the morning," he replied.

"Wait, then why did you say 'about time you woke up?'" She questioned.

"Oh, probably because I woke up three hours ago and I've been waiting for you to get up."

"Why are you awake at such an early time, what is wrong with you?" Zayn laughed at Lacey's comment.

"I don't usually wake up this early, I just couldn't sleep and those damn birds were annoying," he stated.

"Okay, so that's why you're reading in the morning you weirdo," Lacey sat up with her back on the head board. Zayn had been in the same position while reading, and now the two looked just like a married couple at night before going to sleep. Except it was morning, and they weren't married, yet.

Lacey thought for a moment. She should reply to Zayn's confession. The way she had done it before may have been a great way to escape, but right now she was regretting it.

"Zayn listen," she began to speak, "I'm really glad that you shared your feelings for me, but I can't accept them. I don't like you in that way. I'm not even sure that I even like you," she laughed. "Wait, no, I'm starting to like you, but nothing more than what we already are. I didn't even know you a few weeks ago and now you're saying you love me? I just can't fall in love that quickly and I hope you understand."

Lacey expected him to leave the room and even slam the door. She put her head down and waited for him to rush out but all she heard was, "Pffff ahahahaha," coming from Zayn.

She looked over and saw him cracking up. "What kind of rejection was that? Seriously, I liked your first one better," he told her.

"What?" Lacey, confused as ever, asked him.

"It's just that you're so awkward that I can't take it seriously." He said.

"Well, what am I supposed to say? I'm trying to reject you without hurting your feelings!" She stated.

"Oh trust me, you've already done that." said Zayn.

"Okay, sorry, I just-" she paused, "I don't love you back."

"I know that, and it's okay. Don't worry about it, just make sure to go along with this whole marriage thing, I don't want to lose this business opportunity." Zayn told her. He patted her head and got up from the bed. "What do you want for breakfast?" He asked her.

"Wait, what?" Lacey asked. What did he mean by 'business opportunity?' Wasn't he rambling about love the other day? What was going on in his head?

"Breakfast. What do you want?" Zayn repeated himself.

"Uh, pancakes.. I guess," Lacey replied.

"Okay, I'll call you when they're ready." He went downstairs and left Lacey alone in the bedroom. She sat there, dazed, listening to the annoying chirping of the birds'.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

x Hello!

x Yay I updated again!! I'm starting to get the hang of this again. I hope you enjoy this chapter, please tell me what you think of it in the comments!

x I don't like this chapter that much lol I only like the beginning when I write about Zayn and the boys. After I started writing about Lacey I started to make this face :/// Maybe Lacey is the problem in my story. I should just kill her off, just like any good author.

x Okay, until next time! Lacey gets killed, Zayn does some srs bsnss and Louis wears an Adidas crop top! (joke from tonight's concert haha)

x Please vote, comment, and share :)))

x By the way, please check out this amazing Harry fanfic by sweaterxharry She just recently completed it and it deserves a lot of recognition. I love love love it and I'm sure Harry fans would love it too!

x Byiee