IX. Polaroid Cameras

Polaroid Cameras

  "What? No, you're trying to trick me!" he got up from the bed.

  "How could I try to trick you? I don't know anything about you or your past!" Lacey got up from the bed too.

  "I don't know. You're rich, you probably had some scientist take you back in time." Now he wasn't even making sense. They were both on the opposite sides of the room. Lacey was by the door and Zayn was by the window.

  "Yes! That is exactly what happened! I ordered The Doctor to take me back in time with his TARDIS just to see you in the past," she crossed her arms.

  Even though he had no idea of what she was talking about, Zayn apologized, "Sorry. It just feels weird that I've met you before."

  "Don't you think it feels weird for me?" she questioned.

  "You're probably more in denial than I am. You hated me back then,"

  "I did. You were insulting me."

  "I didn't mean to! Words just came out of my mouth,"

  "I don't forgive you,"

  "You still have to marry me though,"

  "Ugh," she groaned.

  "I still owe you a drink, right?" by now they were both back on the bed, staring at the ceiling.

  "I don't care about the bloody drink,"

  "C'mon, I'll buy you one tomorrow." he nudged her.

  "What time is it?" Lacey changed the subject.

  "Uh," he looked over to the small cabinet which had an electrical clock on top of it.

  "Three in the morning," he replied.

  "I haven't been up this long since the summer," she yawned.

  "I don't stay up this long,"

  "Well you're going to have to get used to it, this is a typical pastime for me."

  "What do you do? Stare at the ceiling until the sun comes up and then fall asleep?"

  "I rarely do that anymore. I usually read or paint something. My phone comes in handy too."

  "You draw?" he looked at her curiously.

  "Yeah, I think some of my paintings are in that box." she pointed to one of the boxes that said "LACEY'S ARTWORK."

  "What makes you think that?" Zayn laughed.

  "Haha, just please hand me the box." Zayn stood up and lifted the box. Lacey cleaved the tape off by using her nails, which made one of them break and cause sharp pain to her finger. She flung one piece of cardboard open and did the same with the next. The first thing she saw was a watercolor painting of a pair of eyes. Around them there were tears of all sorts of colours. She had made that a while ago, during the beginning of summer.

  "What does it mean?" Zayn asked.

  "What do you mean 'what does it mean?'" she gave him a confused look.

  "Why did you paint this? What's the story?"

  "There is no story. It doesn't have to have a story to be meaningful. It's just something I made because I felt like it."

  "Okay then," Zayn took out the next canvas. This one was an oil pastel drawing. It was a blue box with gold fireworks in the background.

  "What's this?" he questioned.