Ch. 1: Where The Mind Is...

The rain dropped on my face in hope of washing away the incidents I had been through. It couldn't. All that happened couldn't merely be washed by some drops from up above. I stood still and watched as the lights in the nearby shops switched off one by one as though on cue. I hadn't brought an umbrella but that was the least of my concerns. I was trying to think straight but the smell of the rain on dry soil made me think of my ancestral home that I hadn't visited in years. I wonder if it still holds the majesty with which it stood all those years back. I hope it does. Ahh. I remember the glee I felt when I used to wake up early on weekends to travel there from my college.
The moment I'd lay foot on the courtyard my grandmother would have an instinct of my arrival.
I would just stand there, eyes closed, breathing in the smells of the various plants growing around the house proudly exhibiting my grandma's passion, listening to the birds chirping to one another in the distant trees until suddenly I feel a blanket of warmth draped around me. I look down to see her -- draped in soothing white, an epitome of unconditional love.

Gramma.

"How was your trip?" She'd ask.

"It was good." I'd lie. I didn't want her to know about the terrible towns I'd been through and that I hadn't shut my eyes for more than 10 seconds.

"I'm glad you're here." She'd say. "I've made all your favourite food today." She is one human being who never failed to please me.
One among many, that is. 

I smiled. Not at my missing her, but at my plight. I decide to take a walk. A walk in the rain, I wonder if it can change my thoughts. I started to cross the road. I looked to my left just in time to see a huge light coming towards me.

---------------------

It was many moments after, that I realized I didn't make it to the other side. Instead I stared up at a ceiling that was completely blank. Like my life. It took my some time to realize I was in a reclining position.

"Hi. How are you feeling?" asked a voice in a familiar white attire.

Grandma? No.

Still unable to focus on my surroundings, I stared back at the friendly face that asked me the question.

After what seemed like hours, I managed to get a single word out of my mouth.

"What?"

Lord. I am such an idiot.

"Hi. I'm Carly. You're in a hospital room right now."

So that's why her attire was familiar...she's a nurse!

"Someone brought you here. You were....um...in an accident. Somehow you survived. It's actually pretty unbelievable that you did. I mean, it was a head-on collision with a truck. So...um...Should I get you something?"

"No, thanks. But...I'd like to know who brought me in."

"Um. Sure..I'll check with the register and let you know."

"Cool, thanks."

I settled more comfortably and closed my eyes. 

                                                                --------------