Chapter 98

A/N I know this is a short chapter, but we're getting to the end. Honestly, I'm amazed you stuck around this long.

"I can't believe you're actually leaving," Castiel says sadly, fighting to keep the tears back.

"I know," Dean replies. "Time flies, huh?" He sighs. "I'm gonna miss you, Cas."

"I'm gonna miss you, too."

"I'll call you every day," Dean says. "I don't care how much studying I have to do at USC. I'll call you anyway."

"And I don't care where my label takes me," Castiel adds. "I'll answer it anyway."

Dean presses his lips to Castiel's briefly, holding the boy closer. "But it won't be the same," he murmurs. "I won't be able to do this to you."

"I know," Castiel replies. "But we'll tough it out, right? And you'll be back for Christmas, and we can spend that time together. And if I'm ever back in LA, or anywhere close to it, I'll come by."

"You better," Dean says. "I'll be watching, so if I find out you're nearby, I better see you there, okay?"

Castiel nods. "Definitely. And maybe now that all three of my songs have placed in the top hundred, more people around there will want to see me. I don't care how many times I'm forced into a suit for it."

Dean chuckles. "That right there is commitment."

Castiel nods. "You know how much I hate suits. But I'm determined to make this work if you will."

"Of course I will," Dean replies. "You mean too much to me for me to let you go over a couple thousand miles."

"Especially because it's only four years," Castiel adds. "Then we can be together again for good."

"Yeah," Dean agrees. "We can make it four years. And I'll see you ever Christmas and every summer. That's — that's not bad, right?" It's clear he doesn't believe this. He lets out a long sigh. "This seemed like a much better idea a few months ago."

"It did," Castiel agrees.

Dean gives Castiel a kiss, wrapping his arms around the other boys waist. Finally, they stop, but they don't pull away from each other.

"This is going to work out fine. You know why? Because I love you. I love you, Castiel, and a couple thousand miles won't change that, okay?"

Castiel lets out a small gasp before he can stop himself. Did Dean really just say...? This is big. Castiel knows it as well as Dean does, and that's why it amazes the boy so much.

"I love you, too," Castiel murmurs.
"And I'll see you in a couple months, right?"

Dean nods, a small movement. "Of course. And I'll call you every night until then."

"As much as I love this little love fest," Bobby says, interrupting their conversation with a roll of his eyes, "Dean, we have to go."

Dean sighs. "I know." He turns back to Castiel and gives him a quick kiss. "I'll see you later."

"Call me when you land."

Dean nods. "Of course." He hugs Castiel one more time. "I love you," he murmurs.

"I love you, too."

Finally, unable to delay the inevitable any longer, Dean walks over to Sam and gives him a bro hug.

"Guess this is it for now, huh?"

Sam nods. "Yeah, guess it is.

Trying for lightness, Dean adds, "It's about time."

"Jerk."

"Bitch."

They share a smile before Dean walks over to Adam. He gives the younger boy a hug as well.

"Good luck in high school," Dean says. "But I'm sure you won't need it."

"Good luck in college," Adam replies. "But I'm sure you won't need it."

"Oh, and by the way, you and Samandriel should totally go out."

His goodbyes complete, Dean climbs into the driver's seat of his Impala, with Bobby sitting shotgun so he can drive it home. He rolls down the window.

"And when I come back, she better be as good as new," Dean says loudly.

"We'll take care of your stupid car," Sam replies, rolling his eyes.

"You better, or it's on your head," Dean threatens. "Bye, guys. I'll see you in a couple months."

Dean drives off, and just like that, he's gone.