Chapter 54

Dean drives them to school the next day. Sam sits shotgun, so Castiel, Gabriel, and Garth file in the back. Castiel suddenly remembers how small this car is. Dean begins blasting his music so loud that Garth has to cover his ears.

"Turn that crap down!" Gabriel yells over the song.

"It's not crap!" Dean yells back, turning it up impossibly louder before singing along. "Hold on! Baby hold on! Cuz it's closer than you think! And you're standing on the brink. Come on, Cas!"

Castiel chuckles and joins in until the end of the chorus, when Dean finally turns the song down.

"This is the good stuff, man," Dean announces.

"I love Destiel and all," Gabriel tells them, "but these duos have to stop. Please, don't make us listen to this crap."

"Hey! Leave my music alone!" Dean says defensively. "Kansas is the best, man. The best."

"Why are you so obsessed with Kansas?" Garth asks. "We don't even live in Kansas."

"No, but Sam and I did," Dean replies. "'Til I was four."

"Oh, cool," Garth replies.

"Why'd you guys move?" Gabriel asks. Dean doesn't answer, so Sam does for him.
"It's a long story."
"Alright, whatever," Gabriel replies, for once respecting someone's wish for privacy.

When they get to school, Castiel expects Dean to hop out of the car immediately so no one associates him with any of the other boys. Instead, he gets out at a leisurely pace, just as the rest of them do.

"Don't you have some douchebags that you call friends to go hang out with?" Gabriel reminds him.

"Yeah, eventually," Dean replies. "But I don't feel like hanging out with them right now."

"Well, you can't hang out with us," Sam tells him. "By social rules, I mean. Not ours. It's one thing to drive us cuz I'm your brother, but you can't talk to us of your own free will."

"But I want to," Dean protests.

"And if Crowley and them saw?"

"Then screw 'em," Dean replies with a shrug. "They'll get over it."

"They take their social status very seriously," Gabriel reminds him. "They might care more than you think."

"I'm one of the best players on the team, though. They may care, but not that much."

"Not enough to convince you to quit the team?" Sam finishes. "They did for me. They might for you."

"And even if they don't," Gabriel adds, "they might just ignore you on the court and you'll stop being the hero and start being deadweight."

"I doubt it," Dean replies, but Castiel can tell he isn't too sure.

"Hey, guys!" Charlie greets them with a smile as se bounds up to them, Kevin following behind her. "You're so late today! Oh, hi, Dean! I didn't think you'd be here. Your friends are looking for you, by the way. I heard them in the hallway. They were pretty close by so they might show up any minute now."

"I don't really feel like dealing with them right now," Dean replies. "I've got a New Years resolution to uphold," he adds with a slight smile at Castiel.

"Aw, you guys are being cute but in a secret way!" Charlie squeals. "I love it!"

Castiel rolls his eyes at her, but his amused smile shows he doesn't mean it in the annoyed way he pretends he does. "I see Crowley," he announces as the boy catches his eye.

"I see myself not caring," Dean replies.

Castiel makes a shoo gesture with his hands. "Go. Have a social life. We'll be here when you take us home."

"But —"

"Dean. Go."

Dean groans. "You sound like Bobby," he mutters. "Fine. Bye. See ya."

Charlie waits a moment before Dean walks away — but he's still likely in earshot because she's impatient — before complaining, "But Destiel!"

"We're keeping project Destiel under wraps for now," Castiel tells her.

"But why?" she whines.

"Because Mr. Hot Shot has a reputation to uphold," Gabriel replies.

"It wasn't his idea," Sam adds for his brother's benefit. "It was... Actually, it was kinda a group effort but Dean seems like he'd rather be here."

"Then he should be!"

"He can't be," Sam replies. "He needs to keep the team's trust, and he needs to stay on the team."

"Why?" Kevin asks curiously.

"It's complicated," Sam replies. "But he needs it, and we've got to make sure that things go great with basketball in every way. Got it?"

"I get all tingly when you take control like that," Gabriel replies with a smirk.

Sam groans. "You sound like Dean."

"I can't believe you would insult me like that!"

"No talking trash about Dean in front of Castiel," Charlie scolds him.

"I think I can handle him talking about Dean like he always talks about Dean," Castiel replies.

"No, I mean that if he keeps talking trash about Dean you might decide to break up with him, and you're not allowed to break up with him, ever."

Castiel chuckles. "Um... Okay? Maybe? I mean, this whole 'high school sweethearts' thing just doesn't seem too likely, but if it makes you feel better, then sure."

Charlie gasps. "Castiel! Don't talk like that! You guys are soulmates! Soul. Mates. You're high school sweethearts forever."

"I think you guys care about us a little too much," Castiel tells her.

"There's no such thing as caring about Destiel too much," Charlie replies.

"Why can't you be like Garth and Kevin who just, like, don't care?"

"Because I'm me, and you love me!" Charlie replies with a grin.

"Keep telling yourself that."

"I will!" Charlie replies with a grin. "Because it's true."

"Okay, yes, it is," Castiel concedes.

"I know!"

"Hey, guys?" Kevin says. "You realize you got here pretty late, right? Even for Winchester standards. We might want to go to class."

"Which Castiel can do now because he doesn't have a wheelchair!" Charlie adds excitedly.

"I could always do it," Castiel reminds her. "It just took longer."

"Touché," Charlie replies. "Well, I'm gonna try not to be late, so... Bye!"

Everyone goes their separate ways, and Castiel is suddenly glad he's learned to make friends. Sitting with Sam in class makes it go by twice as fast, and Castiel loves it.